Over on the John Byrne Forum, they have a set of 12 questions for posters to answer. The questions offer a chance to think back to those hazy, crazy first days of comics reading, when everything was new and memorable.

For this group, thinking back that far may take some fog-cutting lamps and heavy machetes to cut through the underbrush. I found some of the questions pretty easy to answer immediately, and others I had to think about and say, "It must've been..."

No doubt, some of the answers might change tomorrow if I have a change of mood, or I think of another example (or someone posts one I forgot).

In any event, I thought it was a fun exercise. Here are the questions you can cut and paste:

1. What was the first comic book you remember reading?

2. What was the first series you tried to follow every month?

3. Who was the first hero to really inspire you?

4. Who was the first villain to give you the creeps or scare you?

5. What was the first story to have a big emotional impact on you?

6. What was the first action scene to really impress you, make you go "Wow!"?

7. Who was the first artist whose style you learned to recognize immediately?

8. What title's cancellation saddened you the most?

9. What title's debut excited you the most?

10. What was the line-up the first time you saw the Avengers? 

11. Who was the first character whose "death" upset you?  (Yes, I've put death in quotes; you aren't responsible if the person didn't actually end up dying.)

12. What was the first back issue you went hunting for? 

In some ways, the questions that were selected are interesting in themselves. Are there others that would be fun to answer? 

If you need some prompts, there's the GCD (www.comics.org) and Mike's Newsstand (http://www.dcindexes.com/timemachine/index.php?site=)

My answers are below. See what you come up with!

-- MSA

Views: 2190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ATLAS-SEABOARD: I could see how that would work, with a bunch of #1s and some creators you were familiar with. It's too bad it fell apart so fast, some of those comics were pretty good. 

E-MAN: He was one of my favorites, too. I had the entire Charlton run, which must've taken some doing, as I was in college at the time and not seeing many comics. I still like E-Man and like whenever he makes a reappearance, although those occasional one-shots aren't as much fun as the on-going series was, especially the first one.

MORT DRUCKER: Far from “wildly improbable,” one was released late last year:http://www.walmart.com/ip/20529449?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=222222...

I meant of his DC work: Buzzy, Mlle. Marie, Bob Hope, etc. It might be tough to do with various licenses, etc., but if that Mad version sold well, you never know. He's a bigger name than to just old comics fans. And it would be a fine looking book!

-- MSA

A Mort Drucker volume would definitely pique my interest. Everything that guy did for DC, brief though his tenure was there, was excellent. I've got an issue of A DATE WITH JUDY, for instance, that's gorgeous thanks to Drucker's presence. Collecting all his humor stuff, unfortunately, would probably be even tougher than just getting the license to reprint all the BOB HOPEs. But lawyers have to eat, too, so far better to have them gainfully employed working out the ramifications of reprinting all the licensed properties for DC's humor titles than to have them lobbying those boobs in Washington.

And when they finish getting the HOPE and LEWIS licenses, maybe the lawyers can figure out how to get the Adam West "Batman" show out on DVD.

But lawyers have to eat, too,

I've never heard such a compassionate defense of the lawyerly arts. Certainly, pulling a dozen or two away from screwing the Siegels and so they could work on gaining rights to Mort Drucker's humor comics would be a win-win, and I'm sure they'd find it more fulfilling. Just reading all those comics to identify the artist would perk them up.

And when they finish getting the HOPE and LEWIS licenses, maybe the lawyers can figure out how to get the Adam West "Batman" show out on DVD.

It does smack my gob that the involved parties can't find an agreement, because they have to know they're sitting on a gold mine and they're losing out. I don't know that interest is slacking off, but I doubt it's getting higher as us geezers age.

I have most of them on VHS, from various sets of reruns over the years, so I'm not bereft. But a DVD set would be nice. I won't even consider what extras there might be.

-- MSA

The commentary on the movie DVD is fun to listen too.

11. Who was the first character whose "death" upset you?  (Yes, I've put death in quotes; you aren't responsible if the person didn't actually end up dying.)Don't approve of killing characters, but killing of Ted Kord cheesed me off the most -- it was just unnecessary.

Oh man. I saw that coming from a mile away. I was right there with ya, kid.

8. What title's cancellation saddened you the most?Boneyard.

Not that I disagree with you, but I am surprised a series so recent was the one that got to you the most.

Boneyard was interesting. I only got to it late but I enjoyed it.

Mr Age wrote: I don't know that interest [for a Batman DVD set] is slacking off, but I doubt it's getting higher as us geezers age.

I dunno... they just recently issued a DVD collection of "My Living Doll," which you've gotta figure is of interest mainly to Julie Newmar fans, most of whom would by definition also be "Batman" fans. So I'm guessing now is as good a time as any to get "Batman" out in front of the public, so we can start watching the things instead of pining for them. Rumor has it that another of my favorite shows, "Many Loves of Dobie Gillis," will soon be available on DVD after an interminable wait, so I remain hopeful of seeing West and Ward in action again.

Dobie Gillis! I hope you're right.

Dave Blanchard said:

Mr Age wrote: I don't know that interest [for a Batman DVD set] is slacking off, but I doubt it's getting higher as us geezers age.

Rumor has it that another of my favorite shows, "Many Loves of Dobie Gillis," will soon be available on DVD after an interminable wait, so I remain hopeful of seeing West and Ward in action again.

BONEYARD: Because I could see the possibilities of it and it broke my heart when it was axed.

I liked it, too, although as a quarterly from a smaller publisher (at least in the US), I wasn't so surprised when it ended; I was more surprised it lasted as long as it did. He did another short series, Gobs, from an even smaller publisher, Antarctica, after that, but I never heard much about it.

Rumor has it that another of my favorite shows, "Many Loves of Dobie Gillis," will soon be available on DVD.

That's more than a rumor. Shout Factory has announced the series will be out later this year. I will be sorely tempted to get it, as it was pretty funny. I've often been tempted to read the book, which I have in my library, but for some reason I've never done it.

But I don't think that was held up over a rights disagreement as the Batman TV series has been. Although the Adam West movie is available, and it has the same divided rights.

If it makes you feel any better, Amazon thinks it MAY be released some day: http://www.amazon.com/Batman-The-Series-Adam-West/dp/B00005JNUW. I wonder how many other unreleased DVDs have 122 reviews and a 5-star rating?

-- MSA

That show had so much going for it. The coolest car in the 1960's, Julie Newmar...

If you have an Amazon account you can use this link to sign up to be notified when it's available. I did and I also signed up for Dobie Gillis.

Mr. Silver Age said:

If it makes you feel any better, Amazon thinks it MAY be released some day: http://www.amazon.com/Batman-The-Series-Adam-West/dp/B00005JNUW.

That's very sad.... waiting for a notice about a series that's been out of production for almost 45 years... and on another thread too....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Thanks Jeff on Earth J. I'll have to keep an eye out for it but how can it be…"
9 minutes ago
Tracy of Moon-T replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"Lady Jane reads bedtime stories to Tefé and shows her small ways to use her…"
47 minutes ago
"Lady Jane was an elemental like Swamp Thing. Her tragic circumstances shaped by how women and…"
1 hour ago
PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"It's like their Columbia musical shorts of the later Curly years but expanded to triple…"
1 hour ago
"One of the couples making out in the alley at Mardi Gras is Batman and Joker. "
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"Earlier in this same episode, Willie reached out to steady a wobbling tree while passing through…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
""And I wish Marvel would collect Super-Villain Team-Up..." Granted. They collected the…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Today's reading has so far all been Sandman adjacent. NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR COMICS #1:…"
2 hours ago
"We have learned that Constantine has demon blood. Now we know that Dark Conrad is part of the…"
2 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"More Golden Age Green Lantern at the Country Fair! "
2 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"Collinwood had a Jungle Room. Who knew?"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Ultraman Tiga
"FUGATIVE FROM THE MOON: "TPC's Moon Base Garowa is destroyed. It's lone survivor,…"
2 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service