Hey it's never too early to start, right?

I've only read two comics in 2012 and have a few more waiting for me. Fatale by Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips will be in the running for best new series.

The categories are:

Best Writer

Best Artist

Most Underrated Writer

Most Underrated Artist

Best Self-Contained Story (Single Issue or One-Shot)

Best Story Arc

Best Limited Series

Best Ongoing Series

Best New Title

Most Underrated Title

Best Original Graphic Novel

Best Web Comic

Best Reprint or Archive

Best Male Character

Best Female Character

Best Villain

Best New Character

Best Supporting Character

Best Team

Biggest Surprise (in-story)

Best Cover

Best Single Panel

Best Fight Scene

Best Character Recovery

Best Superhero Story in Another Media

RIP Award (for fictional characters)

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Agreed on that! 

Some pretty amazing 2-page spreads in this week's comics, too. I don't know it they'll get best page/panel votes from me, but the double page fight between OMAC and Frankenstein (OMAC 5), and the scene that confronts Abby and Alec outside the general store in Swamp Thing 5 both took my breath away.

• No, Jason, it's never too early to start. To that end, I came here to nominate the DPS (double-page spread) from this week's OMAC, only to find that Rob beat me to it! (The one from Swamp Thing gets an honorable mention.) OMAC #5 had a few good FPPs (full-page panels), too.

Kaboom's new Peanuts #0 shipped in 2011, but issue #1 shipped this week, so it gets my vote (in a catagory I'll argue for in eleven month's time).

• Gemstone Publishing released 13 volumes of EC Archives and then quit. After a hiatus of several years, boutique imprint GC Press, LLC has resumed the various series (with identical trade dress), picking up where Gemstone left off. The Haunt of Fear and The Vault of Horror resumed last week with volumes one and two, respectively.

• That's fantastic news, Jeff -- thanks!

Also, I wanted to remember to nominate Palmiotti & Gray for "most underrated writer" this year, since I forgot to last year. I expect their Jonah Hex stories to be good as they've always been, but their Ray miniseries has reminded me how good they are at funny, good-natured material, too. I nearly passed it up, and am glad I didn't.

• I usually save my “Best Reprint or Archive” nomination for new series, but the fifth volume of WALT & SKEEZIX (reprinting Gasoline Alley dailies from 1929-1930) includes something special. Of all the comic strips reprint series I read, Walt & Skeezix is very likely my favorite. If you’ve ever even flipped through a volume before, you know that each one is copiously annotated with photographs of Frank King’s family and home life, as well as his numerous cross-country motor trips upon which many of the continuities are based. But King was also a budding movie maker, and this volume includes, at no extra cost, a DVD of his home movies taken throughout the 1920s.

Also a possible contender for “Best Reprint or Archive”: DC’s Steve Ditko Omnibus Vol. 2

The Sunday Funnies might also qualify in either that category or “Best New Title.”

• As I mentioned above, I usually nominate new series in the “Best Reprint or Archive” category, but because the second (and final) volume of Blondie introduces most of the elements most familiar to today’s readers [Dagwood’s boss Mr. Dithers, the Bumstead’s neigbors the Woodleys, their dog Daisy, their son Baby Dumpling (now Alexander), etc.] it deserves a possible nomination.

• Jeff, you're going to have a hard time with the limit-2 per category.  You could probably nominate a dozen options for Reprint/Archive on your own. 

• That's true, but my biggest problem is not remembering in December what I read earlier in the year. Now that the memory box is pinned to the top (good idea, BTW) it's a constant rememder to add stuff to it. I doubt I'll end up nominating, say, DC's Steve Ditko Omnibus Vol. 2, but it's one of the best so far (two Wednesdays in to the new year), and it's easier for me to pare things down than it is to remember all of what I've read without a list in front of me.

Maybe I'll post a review of my favorite collections at the end of the year and call them "The Jeffies." :)

• STEVE CANYON, Vol. 1 (1947-1948): Unlike some of the collections I’ve posted to this thread so far, this one has a distinct possibility of becoming one of my actual nominations for “Best Reprint or Archive” at the end of the year. IDW is at least the third publisher to attempt a comprehensive reprinting of Milton Caniff’s post-Terry and the Pirates strip. I am hopeful that they will see this project through (1988) to fruition.

• I'm going to go ahead and put a nomination that hasn't been released yet. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ultimate Collection volume 2. It's solicited, last I checked, for Feburary. The first volume was awesome, I have a feeling this will be more of the same.

It's early to tell but this will also be a placeholder for Scarlet Spider. The first issue was a decent set up. I have a feeling that if Christopher Yost can keep the momentum this could be a very solid under the radar series for a B list character. Well he's more of a C lister (C is for clone).

Nightwing #4 is a great done in one. I'm putting it here to I'll remember.

Another great one shot was Warren Ellis's final issue of Secret Avengers, issue 21.

This reply was deleted.