In previous years, this was a memory box so we didn't miss any good nominations for the Cappies. With the Cappies hypertimed away, that doesn't mean we have to discontinue these threads. I've always liked going back at the end of the year and seeing the books and stories and moments that people really champion -- including plenty of stuff that I've forgotten about come Christmastime. 

So have at it, Legionnaires! What in 2016 has knocked you out?

Views: 848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a book I'm enjoying, but I need to give it a reread to let it really win back my heart. The book seemed to lose focus for a while -- a combination of fill-ins and the double-story issues made it seem a little scattershot to me. (It doesn't help that most of the characters, other than Space Ghost and the Quest family, are unfamiliar to me, so the continuity part of my brain doesn't fill in the blanks like it might in a run of Green Arrow or something.) I think if I go back and read them in a line, I'll get a lot of that initial feeling back, since it's obvious how much love and enthusiasm is going into the book.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I am thoroughly enjoying Future Quest from DC.

Just about all of Hanna-Barbera's adventure characters are slated to appear in this title at one point or another, and it harkens back to all those great Saturday mornings and syndicated afternoon shows of my past. When writer Jeff Parker had "The Impossibles" appear, he even worked in their original segment opening.

All it lacks (in my humble opinion) is the original voice actors and the Hoyt Curtin music.

THE COMPLETE PEANUTS: The Fantagraphics collection, now complete, deserves a mention: 50 years of Peanuts strips, collected in 25 volumes. I remember when the series first started and the publishing schedule was announced back in 2004. I didn’t think the series would ever be complete. And now it is. Not only that, but an additional 26th volume collecting Schulz-drawn odds and ends is now available, too. Also, the companion series, Peanuts Every Sunday (collecting the Sunday strips in color), is up to 1970. Kudos to Fantagraphics!

Wow, that's a great achievement! Fantagraphics and IDW have done great work with their comic strips reprints.

Thanks again Rob.

On the first issue - free- I'm putting the rest if the series on my Wish List -I liked it!!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Nice! I hope you like it, Richard!

Richard Mantle said:

With that recommendation Rob, I just looked the title up and the first issue is actually free on Comixcology at the moment - making a taster easy.

Just wanted to note that the Image comic Fuse just ended its (first) run this week with issue 24. Writer Antony Johnston and artists Justin Greenwood and Shari Chankhamma are going to pursue other things for a while, but I really hope they get back to this title, an extremely underrated science-fiction mystery series. I'd recommend it to fans of The Maze Agency -- the detectives have a totally different dynamic than Jen and Gabe, but they have great banter nonetheless, and the mysteries -- 6 issues apiece -- are largely fair play, which is even more difficult in a science fiction setting. 

One of the lead detectives, Klementina Ristovitch, always made my cut for Best Female Character, so I thought I'd note the series' (temporary, let's hope) end here.

This might be the place to mention this: The DC Rebirth Holiday Special is probably my favorite one of these ever published. There's not quite the high of "Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot," that wonderful Deadman story by Allen Brennert, but the quality of this book is uniformly high. There's a ton of stories, from a bunch of 8-pagers to a number of little one-page vignettes, all tied up by Harley Quinn hosting a holiday party packed with fun DCU gags (for instance, Poison Ivy spiked the punch to get Flash and his Rogues to sing carols together!). The framing sequences are written by Paul Dini, with art by Elsa Charretier, who is a treasure that DC should not let go of. She's got a really deft touch with expression and humor, and I can't wait to see more of her art. (She took over the Starfire series when the original artist left, and I've dug her art ever since.)

Anyway, at $10, it's a pretty steep price for a comic. But it's 88 pages long, has a terrific Detective Chimp/Batman team up, a great Flash christmas story, and a lot of other holiday fun. I've been reading it a little at a time, and it's fantastic.

(Although I should also add that Batman Annual 1 from a couple weeks ago might have my favorite Christmas story from this year, featuring Ace the Bat-Hound.)

Did I just wake up in 1955?  

(Although I should also add that Batman Annual 1 from a couple weeks ago might have my favorite Christmas story from this year, featuring Ace the Bat-Hound.)

I loved the first TPB collection of Fuse. Since the rest are available from the library via Hoopla I'm looking forward to reading them. Funny that I just thought of catching up on the title over the weekend before I saw this post.

Richard Mantle said:

Thanks again Rob.

On the first issue - free- I'm putting the rest if the series on my Wish List -I liked it!!

Nice! I hope you like it, Richard!

Richard Mantle said:

With that recommendation Rob, I just looked the title up and the first issue is actually free on Comixcology at the moment - making a taster easy.

Just wanted to note that the Image comic Fuse just ended its (first) run this week with issue 24. Writer Antony Johnston and artists Justin Greenwood and Shari Chankhamma are going to pursue other things for a while, but I really hope they get back to this title, an extremely underrated science-fiction mystery series. I'd recommend it to fans of The Maze Agency -- the detectives have a totally different dynamic than Jen and Gabe, but they have great banter nonetheless, and the mysteries -- 6 issues apiece -- are largely fair play, which is even more difficult in a science fiction setting. 

One of the lead detectives, Klementina Ristovitch, always made my cut for Best Female Character, so I thought I'd note the series' (temporary, let's hope) end here.

I wanted to squeak one more in before moving on to 2017.

Essential Harvey Kurtzman v2 (Collecting the complete Trump magazine) shipped on December 21.

Nice! 

And the book I'm reading now -- Nick Hayes's terrific Woody Guthrie and the Dust Bowl Ballads -- came out in 2016, too. I'm not even halfway through it yet, but I'm sure it'll be one of my favorite OGNs of the year.

I read what you had to say about that over in "What Comics Have You Read Today?" that sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to keep my eye out for it. There have been a lot of good biographies in comics book form lately: Woody Guthrie, Brian Epstein, Muhammad Ali, Martin Luther King...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service