In previous years, this was a memory box so we didn't miss any good nominations for the Cappies. With the Cappies hypertimed away, that doesn't mean we have to discontinue these threads. I've always liked going back at the end of the year and seeing the books and stories and moments that people really champion -- including plenty of stuff that I've forgotten about come Christmastime. 

So have at it, Legionnaires! What in 2016 has knocked you out?

Views: 883

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I met Greg Ruth earlier this year at MOCCA Fest. Indeh wasn't out quite yet, but he was very excited for it. I picked up his The Lost Boy -- which I really need to get around to reading soon. As you said, Ruth's art is amazing. 

I have a vague recollection of the fact that this was going to come out. Thanks for the reminder. It sounds right up Greg Ruth's alley. This will likely be a near-future Amazon purchase.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Last night I finished reading Indeh by Ethan Hawke and Greg Ruth. A simply incredible graphic novel about the Apache Wars . I absolutely loved the story, and oh my goodness Ruth's art is breathtaking. One of my favorite reads in quite some time.

BLOOM COUNTY: EPISODE XI: Berke Breathed retired Bloom County 25 years ago. Then in 2015, with no fanfare, he began doing new strips online. This is a collection of those strips. All of the commentary comes from posts from his fans. In his introduction he says that in his entire professional career he never hit a single deadline. He was always behind and always stressed. He describes the feeling of working without a deadline (not to mention without editorial oversight) as “JOY.” I’m enjoying his take of the Presidential election in particular.

I've already mentioned that I love the new Flintstones comic. But each month I love it more. If we were holding the Cappies this year, Fred would get my vote for best male character. 

Doggone it, I just read the latest issue last night, and you are absolutely right. This is one of the most important comic books that has been produced this year. This takes the social humor that was the original series and turns it into social commentary--and then kicks it up another notch.

I cannot think of another new ongoing series that outdoes this book. This is better than it has any right to be. I love that this book is getting away with what it's getting away with, and I pray that it gets a nice run before the suits notice it and put a stop to it.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I've already mentioned that I love the new Flintstones comic. But each month I love it more. If we were holding the Cappies this year, Fred would get my vote for best male character. 

SUPER WEIRD HEROES - Craig Yoe Books.

This shipped yesterday and I love it every bit as much as I expected to. So far I've read only the introduction and the first feature, but this has moved to the top of my reading list for this weekend. There are three qualifications for story inclusion in this volume: 1) The lead characters must be SUPER, 2) They must be WEIRD, and 3) They must be HEROES.

Nice! I love the Yoe stuff I've picked up: The ongoing Sagendorf Popeye series, of course, but also Ditko's Shorts, a collection of 1-3 page stories Ditko did for various publishers. 

If you ever get a chance to meet him at a con or see him on a panel, don't miss it. He's a hoot.

Just wanted to note that the Image comic Fuse just ended its (first) run this week with issue 24. Writer Antony Johnston and artists Justin Greenwood and Shari Chankhamma are going to pursue other things for a while, but I really hope they get back to this title, an extremely underrated science-fiction mystery series. I'd recommend it to fans of The Maze Agency -- the detectives have a totally different dynamic than Jen and Gabe, but they have great banter nonetheless, and the mysteries -- 6 issues apiece -- are largely fair play, which is even more difficult in a science fiction setting. 

One of the lead detectives, Klementina Ristovitch, always made my cut for Best Female Character, so I thought I'd note the series' (temporary, let's hope) end here.

It might be a little early after only two issues but I really like Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye. Maybe my favorite new title this year.

With that recommendation Rob, I just looked the title up and the first issue is actually free on Comixcology at the moment - making a taster easy.

Just wanted to note that the Image comic Fuse just ended its (first) run this week with issue 24. Writer Antony Johnston and artists Justin Greenwood and Shari Chankhamma are going to pursue other things for a while, but I really hope they get back to this title, an extremely underrated science-fiction mystery series. I'd recommend it to fans of The Maze Agency -- the detectives have a totally different dynamic than Jen and Gabe, but they have great banter nonetheless, and the mysteries -- 6 issues apiece -- are largely fair play, which is even more difficult in a science fiction setting. 

One of the lead detectives, Klementina Ristovitch, always made my cut for Best Female Character, so I thought I'd note the series' (temporary, let's hope) end here.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I am thoroughly enjoying Future Quest from DC.

Just about all of Hanna-Barbera's adventure characters are slated to appear in this title at one point or another, and it harkens back to all those great Saturday mornings and syndicated afternoon shows of my past. When writer Jeff Parker had "The Impossibles" appear, he even worked in their original segment opening.

All it lacks (in my humble opinion) is the original voice actors and the Hoyt Curtin music.

Nice! I hope you like it, Richard!

Richard Mantle said:

With that recommendation Rob, I just looked the title up and the first issue is actually free on Comixcology at the moment - making a taster easy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service