In previous years, this was a memory box so we didn't miss any good nominations for the Cappies. With the Cappies hypertimed away, that doesn't mean we have to discontinue these threads. I've always liked going back at the end of the year and seeing the books and stories and moments that people really champion -- including plenty of stuff that I've forgotten about come Christmastime. 

So have at it, Legionnaires! What in 2016 has knocked you out?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1936743017?profile=RESIZE_480x480Here's an awesome cover from Sean Murphy for Tokyo Ghost that would have been a frontrunner for cover of the year.

ps. thanks for creating this thread, Rob.  I always enjoyed seeing everyone's suggestions for work they want to remember as the best of the year and I'm glad there's still a place for that.

• Like Rob, I also enjoy hearing about other people's favorites. Also like Rob, I sometime have trouble remembering my own. That''s why I started to "Pick of the Week" thread a while back, not only to learn about others' favorites, but to remember my own. Of course that's not going to stop me from posting particularly outstanding favorites to this thread.

• What good timing! I had been using “Pick of the Week” for either periodicals or collections, but to level the playing field, I’m going to begin using “Pick of the Week” for periodicals only, and “Favorite Things” for collections. It’s good timing because two of the most beautiful collections I’ve seen in some time shipped today.

MANDRAKE THE MAGICIAN – “The Hidden Kingdom of Murderers” – Sundays 1935—1937: As you flip through this volume you can actually see the artist (Phil davis) improve from week-to-week. By the end (long before it, actually), he is on par with the best of Alex Raymond.

KELLY GREEN: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION – Stan Drake and Leonard Starr: I’m not familiar with Kelley Green, but WOW! What linework!

• Here's a miniseries that nearly flew under my radar, and possibly many of yours as well. Dreaming Eagles, a Garth Ennis war story that's one of the first books from AfterShock comics. The art's by Simon Coleby, who (thanks in part to colorist John Kalisz's work) somehow evokes Francisco Francavilla in the layouts. (It doesn't hurt that Francavilla is doing the covers for the series, too.) 

It's the story of some of the Tuskegee Airmen flying in WWII, but what really interests me is the framing sequence -- why the story is being told. The pilot (retired now, running a bar) is telling his son the story, as his son matures in the midst of the Civil Rights movement. I've seen a lot of framing sequences, and a lot of old folks taking down a dusty scrapbook to talk to kids about the old days in fiction. I've never seen one that seems more true or more earned, or more urgent to our own times. I really love this book. The third issue came out today.

• I have loved a few of the Aftershock titles as well, Rob, even though I haven't read that title. I am really enjoying American Monster and Replica. Great creative teams on both!
  • My biggest love this far in 2016 is The Saints from Image. The writing reminds me of a Mike Mignola who knows how to laugh. The art is simplistically awesome.
  • I met the creators of The Saints at NYCC last year -- had a long conversation with them, actually, as I was there with my friend Bill, who interviewed one of them for his Comic Book Bears podcast. And still haven't read the book! I need to find it in my pile of NYCC loot!

As for Aftershock, I've read Super Zero and Dreaming Eagles.. liked them both a lot!

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

My biggest love this far in 2016 is The Saints from Image. The writing reminds me of a Mike Mignola who knows how to laugh. The art is simplistically awesome.
  • Just want to put in a shout-out to a comic I forget how much I enjoy it until I pick up the latest issue, and it all comes flooding back: Thrilling Adventure Hour Presents: Beyond Belief! It’s a cumbersome title, but everything else about it is a joy. Frank and Sadie Doyle are occult detectives very much in the mold of Nick and Nora Charles -- heavy on the drinking, even heavier on the playful banter. Written by Ben Acker and Ben Blacker and drawn by Phil Hester, these books (Image has published three issues so far, with a fourth scheduled for April) are a treat from top to bottom, and each issue gives a satisfying chunk of story. If you love the style of the Thin Man movies, (and I know I’m not the only one where who does), give this series a look. I think you’ll love it,

• George Perez Avengers Artist Select Series

It's pricy, but there are few artists who deserve such a collection more.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

George Perez Avengers Artist Select Series

It's pricy, but there are few artists who deserve such a collection more.

Is there any info about which issues are collected?

This reply was deleted.