In previous years, this was a memory box so we didn't miss any good nominations for the Cappies. With the Cappies hypertimed away, that doesn't mean we have to discontinue these threads. I've always liked going back at the end of the year and seeing the books and stories and moments that people really champion -- including plenty of stuff that I've forgotten about come Christmastime. 

So have at it, Legionnaires! It's a bold new year! What in 2017 has knocked you out?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Am I the first to post in 2017? Cool!

COMPLETE CHESTER GOULD DICK TRACY Vol. 21

This one reprints all of 1963, plus some strips from 1962 and 1964. Yes, it is the beginning of the infamous “moon era,” but I tend to view these stories less harshly than others do. By the time I came on the scene, the “space coupe” and the “air cars” were already everyday fixtures, so I more or less grew up with them. The sci-fi is merely mediocre, but the crime fighting is as good as ever (although some might say the violence is increased), but there’s something about the quirky blend that appeals to me.

• I've only flipped through it, but I just love The Life and Legend of Wallace Wood Vol. 1. Its a sweet over sized hardcover, that includes an unpublished interview about his work with Stan Lee on Daredevil. Some beautiful art of course.

• Here are two things shipping today worth mentioning:

THE BRONZE AGE BRAVE AND THE BOLD OMNIBUS collects issues #74-109.

THE JACK KIRBY FANTASTIC FOUR ARTIST EDITION collects Fantastic Four Annual #6, issues #82 and #83, plus a gallery section. Given the scattered state of Kirby’s ‘60s Marvel output, this is a volume I never expected to see.

• The latest issue of Deathstroke (#11) is a pretty impressive "done in one" that takes on the issue of gun violence using Chicago as a backdrop to make some interesting points.  It's early in the year, but if we were still doing the Cappies I'd probably nominate this in the best single issue category.

• Man, I really love Lee Bermejo's cover to Moonshine #4:

1936831922?profile=original

• JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 1: This collection comprises issues #77-113, but I question the demarcation of the start of the Bronze Age. It wasn’t the first post-Mike Sekowsky issue and it wasn’t the first post-Gardner Fox issue. #77 was the last issue cover-dated 1969 and #78 was the first from 1970. For that reason and thematically, I think this collection would have better started with #78. Not only did #77 feature the “betrayal of Snapper Carr” (the end of an era, surely), but #78 marked the JLA’s move to their satellite headquarters. Story-wise, #78 references the events of #77, so I guess the editor determined the volume should begin with that issue.

For me personally, I have only a few holes in my JLA collection, and this volume fills them all. The very first issue of JLA I ever bought new was #110 (which also took place in St. Louis, more or less where I grew up). I was also lucky enough to have picked up #111 & #112 when they were new; owning consecutive issues was a rarity for e at the time. It’s been a while since I last read this series of issues, and I am looking forward to reading them again soon.

• I enjoyed the guest stars in the Dick Tracy comic strip.

• I read and enjoyed X-men Prime and X-men Gold. It's too early to tell but this looks like a return to form for Marvel's mighty mutants.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 1: This collection comprises issues #77-113, but I question the demarcation of the start of the Bronze Age. It wasn’t the first post-Mike Sekowsky issue and it wasn’t the first post-Gardner Fox issue. #77 was the last issue cover-dated 1969 and #78 was the first from 1970. For that reason and thematically, I think this collection would have better started with #78. Not only did #77 feature the “betrayal of Snapper Carr” (the end of an era, surely), but #78 marked the JLA’s move to their satellite headquarters. Story-wise, #78 references the events of #77, so I guess the editor determined the volume should begin with that issue.

I think it has less to do with #78 referencing #77 and more to do with Justice League of America Silver Age Omnibus Volume 2 (released June 2016) ending with JLA #76.

• Sure, but that volume (to my way of thinking) should have ended with #77, not #76.

I finished this omni over the weekend, BTW. Refreshing.

This reply was deleted.