In previous years, this was a memory box so we didn't miss any good nominations for the Cappies. With the Cappies hypertimed away, that doesn't mean we have to discontinue these threads. I've always liked going back at the end of the year and seeing the books and stories and moments that people really champion -- including plenty of stuff that I've forgotten about come Christmastime. 

So have at it, Legionnaires! It's a bold new year! What in 2017 has knocked you out?

Views: 1751

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Both of these shipped this week.

WONDER WOMAN: GAME OF THE GODS: At a time when new comics routinely cost $4 apiece and continuity is nonexistent, this tpb collects six issues (#189-194) for $17. By Walt Simonson and Jerry Ordway.

STEVE CANYON v9: This volume collects every black and white daily and every color Sunday from 1963 and 1964 complete. (There is a 90% chance that when I finish Little Orphan Annie I will move on to Steve Canyon next.)

PIRACY: The single-volume collection of all seven issues of this EC “New Direction” title shipped this week, as did…

JUNGLE GIRLS: A Craig Yoe collection. “Nuff said.

WONDER WOMAN OMNIBUS by Phil Jimenez.

THE DC UNIVERSE BY LEN WEIN shipped today.

It includes stories from Teen Titans #18, Phantom Stranger #20-24, JLA #100-102, Action Comics #419-420, 422-423, 425-426, 429, 432, DC Comics Presents #27-29, JLA 80-Page Giant #2, DC Retroactive: Green Lantern-The '80s: Big Betrayal #1 and Swamp Thing Winter Special #1.

That looks like a great collection. I'll keep an eye out for it. 

I ran across that on Amazon yesterday. It went straight to my cart.

I haven't posted a favorite for a while, but I just saw his cover by Alexander Lorenzo, and it's AMAZING.

Oh that is very well done. Most covers I see from Marvel these days look like they could be for anything, but this one is not only telling about what's inside, but it's also a wonderful composition and design.

Here's a cover I liked from this week:

Oh, very nice!

This OGN is scheduled to ship tomorrow.

GIRAFFES ON HORSEBACK SALAD:

As a life-long fan of the Marx Brothers, I have long been aware of Salvador Dali’s movie script. Here’s what Groucho had to say about it in The Groucho Phile (1977): “Now that we were full-fledged stars, we were bombarded with thousands of scripts. Salvador Dali wrote a surrealist movie for us. He approached me one day at the studio. ‘Hello, Dali.’ I said. ‘Groucho,’ he went on, ‘have I got a script for you.’ No, he didn’t—it wouldn’t play. Neither did the surrealist harp that dali presented to Harpo. It was strung with Barbed wire and decorated with dozens of spoons and forks nailed to the frame. Missing is the auto horn.”

I was never too eager to read Dali’s script (or wouldn’t’ve been if I even considered it); if anyone knew whether it would “play” or not that would be Groucho. But ever since I read that it was to be turned into a graphic novel I have been eager to read it. A lousy movie script could be turned into a decent graphic novel in the right hands. Tomorrow, we shall see.

THANOS OMNIBUS: Every Thanos story (and then some) published between 1973 and 1977, plus The Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel from 1982 (every Starlin issue of Captain Marvel and Warlock plus tie-ins). Shipped this week. Also shipped this week…

BATGIRL: BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS V2

DONALD DUCK DAILY NEWSPAPER STRIPS V5

All of these shipped today:

LIFE & TIMES UNCLE SCROOGE V1
EC TWO-FISTED TALES V4
MMW AVENGERS V19*
PLANET OF THE APES ARTIST TRIBUTE HC
STRANGERS IN PARADISE XXV HC
WALT & SKEEZIX V7

*I’m looking forward to how (if) they deal with the controversy surrounding issue #200 in the introduction.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service