I can't believe we've gone this long without starting a beer thread. I enjoyed the one on the old board and actually tried some of the beverages that were liked by others.

I've discovered that I really like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I've never enjoyed the Boston Lager but this Oktoberfest is good stuff. I also finally tried Yeungling Black & Tan. Also very good.

Views: 3479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There was a time (6-7 years ago?) when it seemed just about every bar around here had Fireman's 4 on tap. I always thought it was okay, but there was always something else I liked better.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

DALE’S PALE ALE: Still on my quest for a light (in color) brew that is not an IPA, I tried Dale’s Pale Ale. Whereas I have certainly had it before, I didn’t remember it so it was almost like trying a new beer. I could see this being my fall back brew for the next little while. It’s brewed by the Oskar Blues Brewery in Austin, TX. Oddly, it is described on the label as “Mountain Pale Ale.” There are no mountains in Austin last time I checked, but I will be going there again this coming weekend and will take another look.

Tim mentioned Fosters Lager a couple of posts back...? Dale's Pale Ale reminds me of Fosters Premium Ale (the one in the green oil can).

FIREMANS 4 BLANDE ALE: Again, another one I’ve tried before and forgotten, and again, another Texas Brew (from the real Ale Brewing Company in Blanco, TX). I thought it had a funny aftertaste, like a non-alcoholic brew (and, yes, I have tried non-alcoholic beverages before).

"Fireman's Blande Ale"? There's a Freudian typo (to coin a phrase).

After having now seen Star Trek: Discovery, I get it now.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

I tried one a few weeks back. I didn't really care for it and won't be buying it again.

I couldn’t decide what I wanted so I tasked Tracy with surprising me.

REAL HEAVY SCOTCH ALE: This is from the Real Ale Brewing company and, like the label says, it’s “real heavy.” (Tracy leans toward the stouts herself.) Not my usual brew, but I asked for something different.

WINTERSTELLAR WINTER WARMER ALE: This is from the Armadillo Ale works and is brewed with dark brown sugar.

I haven’t been drinking too much beer lately, but I did recently sample two offering from the North Coast Brewing Company: BROTHER THELONIUS BEGIAN-STYLE ABBEY ALE and OLD STOCK ALE 2018. I know I’ve tried Brother Thelonius before, but I couldn’t remember anything specific about it. Of the two, I preferred the 2018 Stock Ale, which was a little lighter. Between the two, I lost a good chunk of Sunday afternoon.

Instead of beer I’ve been drinking either Scotch or American whiskey. After I got back from Scotland last summer I decided to through myself into sampling whiskey from Texas distilleries, but I haven’t made much headway. The one I like best is BALCONES POT-DISTILLED SINGLE MALT TEXAS WHISKY.

New Beer Doubles as Film Developer

Somehow, this doesn't sound appealing to me.

"New Shimer is a floor wax!"

"It's a dessert topping, you cow!"

I thought I posted this yesterday, but somehow it didn't take: "Ohio Man to Drink Only Beer During Lent"

WKRC TV wrote:

NEWTOWN, Ohio (WKRC) — The season of Lent means Christians are fasting and giving up certain pleasures or vices.

One Ohio man is taking a page from history.

For 46 days, Del Hall is drinking only beer.

“I’m going to have all styles of beer,” the Fifty West worker said about the fast.

Beer will be the only thing on Hall’s menu and he won’t have solid food until Easter Sunday.

Hall says he’s taking a nod from monks in the 1600’s that would fast during the season by a bock beer diet.

On his Facebook page, he says he's lost 25 pounds.

I might have to try that next year.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I thought I posted this yesterday, but somehow it didn't take: "Ohio Man to Drink Only Beer During Lent"

WKRC TV wrote:

NEWTOWN, Ohio (WKRC) — The season of Lent means Christians are fasting and giving up certain pleasures or vices.

One Ohio man is taking a page from history.

For 46 days, Del Hall is drinking only beer.

“I’m going to have all styles of beer,” the Fifty West worker said about the fast.

Beer will be the only thing on Hall’s menu and he won’t have solid food until Easter Sunday.

Hall says he’s taking a nod from monks in the 1600’s that would fast during the season by a bock beer diet.

On his Facebook page, he says he's lost 25 pounds.

I'm generally a lager guy, but my wife and I have been making black-and-tans at home. I'm becoming very fond of Guinness, which I didn't expect.

I like it better with food.

I've been enjoying Sierra Nevada's Brut IPA. I guess it's a spring seasonal beer, and it is pretty light. It's very crisp, and not very IPA-like. Although, even as one who normally enjoys IPAs above anything else, I really like this. It calls itself "extra-dry", and that's true.

BLOOD & HONEY: I tried this local brew several years ago but misremembered it. I thought it was a “red” beer, but the “blood” actually refers to blood oranges. It goes against one of my rules (no beer made with fruit), but a friend recommended it and assured me it wasn’t a red beer. I went through a lengthy phase during which it was my fallback beer of choice.

ROYAL BLOOD: When I got tired of Blood & Honey, I thought I’d try another beer made with blood oranges. Tracy found one that sounded interesting (not Royal Blood), but it was only 3.4% ABV. Its recommended pairing were actually steak & eggs and other breakfast foods. Instead, I tried this Belgian witbier with Mark Twain on the label at 5.5%.

FIRE ANT FUNERAL: I broke another one of my rules with this one (no novelty beers), but I hate fire ants! I’ve tried the “napalm” killer and the one that causes them to wander around disoriented before their heads drop off before settling on Over & Out. This one is an amber ale, described as “balanced, without the bite.” It has a picture of an ant on the label with the slogan, “R.I.P. You Devil Bastards.” A beer after my own heart. 6% ABV.

OR XATA: I bought this blonde ale brewed by “The Bruery” with rice and lactose, cinnamon and vanilla on a whim. (It’s supposed to be the beer version of horchata.) I probably won’t buy it again. 7.2% ABV.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service