I can't believe we've gone this long without starting a beer thread. I enjoyed the one on the old board and actually tried some of the beverages that were liked by others.

I've discovered that I really like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I've never enjoyed the Boston Lager but this Oktoberfest is good stuff. I also finally tried Yeungling Black & Tan. Also very good.

Views: 3499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had taken a real liking to Sierra Nevada's Brut Extra Dry IPA, then I found out it was their spring seasonal beer. Drat! It was a nice, lighter IPA with no sweetness whatsoever.

And as much as I hate the sweetness in my beer, I find myself kind of craving a Blue Moon now that it's summer.

"I remember trying Fire Ant Funeral a couple of years ago, I wasn't a fan. Of course tastes do change, so I might enjoy it now."

I wasn't necessarily recommending it; I probably won't buy it again. If you're ever looking for a new sour beer to try, keep reading...

WIT THE FUNK: Last weekend (when I bought the “Or Xata” from the Bruery) I almost bought their “Wit the Funk.” Tracy stayed in the car, but the last song we listened to before I went inside was “Give Up the Funk” by Parliament. I left it behind because I thought it was too far to go for a stupid joke, but then I thought about it all week. It’s described on the label as “tart” but I would classify it as sour. I like a sour beer every once in a while, but I, too, have to be in the mood (which I wasn’t). The only thing I managed to do was get the song “Give Up the Funk” stuck in my head.

MISCHIEF: The third and final selection from The Bruery, a “hoppy Belgian ale,” 8.5% ABV. It was okay but nothing special. It did provide me with a welcome nap yesterday afternoon, however.

SAM ’76: Samuel Adams Boston Lager has been a fallback of mine for years… decades. The TV ads for this new Sam Adams lager intrigued me. It’s not quite what I expected, but I really liked it. I expected something like Coors Pre-Prohibition Style (sadly no longer available) or Buydweiser American Ale (ditto), but Sam ’76 was much more like a craft brew alone the lines of New Belgium Shift (which is still available as far as I know, but I can’t find it locally and have to special order it). If you’re looking for a crisp refreshing brew for summer, I recommend this. 4.7% ABV.

SIERRA NEVADA SUMMERFEST: I bought this at the liquor store I used to go to before a TW&M opened five minutes from my house. It wasn’t until I got home that I noticed it was the 2018 batch, bottle March 22, 2018. Bastards sold me old beer! Can’t review it because it was way stale. I won’t be going back there any time soon.

I also like the Sam’s 76. Sometimes all you want is a cold beer without any extra dog and pony show, and this hits that spot nicely.

I haven’t had much beer lately because, a couple of weeks ago, I bought my first ever bottle of tequila. (While I have certain had tequila before, I’ve never actually bought a bottle.) I bought a fifth of Casamigos, George Clooney’s brand, and let me tell you… it was smooooth. but back to beer…

MURAL: This is an “aqua fresca cervesa” (not my usual poison), which even my smattering of Sapnish tells me is “fresh water beer.” But I thought I would give it a try because it’s made by New Belgium, and they usually have interesting brews. This one is flavored with watermelon., lime, hibiscus and agave. It is only 4% ABV so be warned.

My new favorite from Bell's is Official. It's delicious, just like their Two-Hearted, but it's a little cloudier with a slightly different kind of hoppiness to it.

I tend not to like Mexican beers that much. I used to love my Corona, but not anymore. If I'm at a Mexican restaurant, I'll drink it, and it's fine, but I'm not sure why I just don't care for it anymore.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

MURAL: This is an “aqua fresca cervesa” (not my usual poison), which even my smattering of Sapnish tells me is “fresh water beer.” But I thought I would give it a try because it’s made by New Belgium, and they usually have interesting brews. This one is flavored with watermelon., lime, hibiscus and agave. It is only 4% ABV so be warned.

"I'm not sure why I just don't care for it anymore."

It was a phase, I suspect. I went through a Corona phase and a Heiniken phase as well. Haven't had either in years... decades, in fact.

I love a lot of Mexican beers, Dos Equis (green bottle) being my favorite, I find them to be very refreshing during the Texas summers. 

I definitely know about going through beer phases. I've been through a Sam Adams Lager phase, a Fat Tire phase, and Blue Moon phase. I can't remember the last time I drank any of them. 

I've definitely gone through the Heiniken, Blue Moon, and Sam Adams Lager phases (it's been a looong time since the Sam Adams Lager phase, though). I had Fat Tire on a bad blind date once, and it tasted a little like a bad memory, so those two things combined have led to me never having another one.

“I've been through a Sam Adams Lager phase, a Fat Tire phase, and Blue Moon phase.”

“I've definitely gone through the Heiniken, Blue Moon, and Sam Adams Lager phases.”

Me, too!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service