I can't believe we've gone this long without starting a beer thread. I enjoyed the one on the old board and actually tried some of the beverages that were liked by others.

I've discovered that I really like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I've never enjoyed the Boston Lager but this Oktoberfest is good stuff. I also finally tried Yeungling Black & Tan. Also very good.

Views: 3462

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really like Blood & Honey, but I just don't buy it very often any more, and I'm not sure why. I remember trying Fire Ant Funeral a couple of years ago, I wasn't a fan. Of course tastes do change, so I might enjoy it now. 

I did recently tried Four Bullets' Billion Dollar Blonde. It is labeled as an English Ale with a Texas Twist. It wasn't terrible, but I probably won't buy it again. It had an aftertaste I'm not really looking for in a blonde. Kind of like what you want find in a witbier.

I also have one can of Boulevard Brewing's Tequila Barrel Lime Gose. I like sour beers, but I have to be in the mood for it. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

BLOOD & HONEY: I tried this local brew several years ago but misremembered it. I thought it was a “red” beer, but the “blood” actually refers to blood oranges. It goes against one of my rules (no beer made with fruit), but a friend recommended it and assured me it wasn’t a red beer. I went through a lengthy phase during which it was my fallback beer of choice.

ROYAL BLOOD: When I got tired of Blood & Honey, I thought I’d try another beer made with blood oranges. Tracy found one that sounded interesting (not Royal Blood), but it was only 3.4% ABV. Its recommended pairing were actually steak & eggs and other breakfast foods. Instead, I tried this Belgian witbier with Mark Twain on the label at 5.5%.

FIRE ANT FUNERAL: I broke another one of my rules with this one (no novelty beers), but I hate fire ants! I’ve tried the “napalm” killer and the one that causes them to wander around disoriented before their heads drop off before settling on Over & Out. This one is an amber ale, described as “balanced, without the bite.” It has a picture of an ant on the label with the slogan, “R.I.P. You Devil Bastards.” A beer after my own heart. 6% ABV.

OR XATA: I bought this blonde ale brewed by “The Bruery” with rice and lactose, cinnamon and vanilla on a whim. (It’s supposed to be the beer version of horchata.) I probably won’t buy it again. 7.2% ABV.

I had taken a real liking to Sierra Nevada's Brut Extra Dry IPA, then I found out it was their spring seasonal beer. Drat! It was a nice, lighter IPA with no sweetness whatsoever.

And as much as I hate the sweetness in my beer, I find myself kind of craving a Blue Moon now that it's summer.

"I remember trying Fire Ant Funeral a couple of years ago, I wasn't a fan. Of course tastes do change, so I might enjoy it now."

I wasn't necessarily recommending it; I probably won't buy it again. If you're ever looking for a new sour beer to try, keep reading...

WIT THE FUNK: Last weekend (when I bought the “Or Xata” from the Bruery) I almost bought their “Wit the Funk.” Tracy stayed in the car, but the last song we listened to before I went inside was “Give Up the Funk” by Parliament. I left it behind because I thought it was too far to go for a stupid joke, but then I thought about it all week. It’s described on the label as “tart” but I would classify it as sour. I like a sour beer every once in a while, but I, too, have to be in the mood (which I wasn’t). The only thing I managed to do was get the song “Give Up the Funk” stuck in my head.

MISCHIEF: The third and final selection from The Bruery, a “hoppy Belgian ale,” 8.5% ABV. It was okay but nothing special. It did provide me with a welcome nap yesterday afternoon, however.

SAM ’76: Samuel Adams Boston Lager has been a fallback of mine for years… decades. The TV ads for this new Sam Adams lager intrigued me. It’s not quite what I expected, but I really liked it. I expected something like Coors Pre-Prohibition Style (sadly no longer available) or Buydweiser American Ale (ditto), but Sam ’76 was much more like a craft brew alone the lines of New Belgium Shift (which is still available as far as I know, but I can’t find it locally and have to special order it). If you’re looking for a crisp refreshing brew for summer, I recommend this. 4.7% ABV.

SIERRA NEVADA SUMMERFEST: I bought this at the liquor store I used to go to before a TW&M opened five minutes from my house. It wasn’t until I got home that I noticed it was the 2018 batch, bottle March 22, 2018. Bastards sold me old beer! Can’t review it because it was way stale. I won’t be going back there any time soon.

I also like the Sam’s 76. Sometimes all you want is a cold beer without any extra dog and pony show, and this hits that spot nicely.

I haven’t had much beer lately because, a couple of weeks ago, I bought my first ever bottle of tequila. (While I have certain had tequila before, I’ve never actually bought a bottle.) I bought a fifth of Casamigos, George Clooney’s brand, and let me tell you… it was smooooth. but back to beer…

MURAL: This is an “aqua fresca cervesa” (not my usual poison), which even my smattering of Sapnish tells me is “fresh water beer.” But I thought I would give it a try because it’s made by New Belgium, and they usually have interesting brews. This one is flavored with watermelon., lime, hibiscus and agave. It is only 4% ABV so be warned.

My new favorite from Bell's is Official. It's delicious, just like their Two-Hearted, but it's a little cloudier with a slightly different kind of hoppiness to it.

I tend not to like Mexican beers that much. I used to love my Corona, but not anymore. If I'm at a Mexican restaurant, I'll drink it, and it's fine, but I'm not sure why I just don't care for it anymore.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

MURAL: This is an “aqua fresca cervesa” (not my usual poison), which even my smattering of Sapnish tells me is “fresh water beer.” But I thought I would give it a try because it’s made by New Belgium, and they usually have interesting brews. This one is flavored with watermelon., lime, hibiscus and agave. It is only 4% ABV so be warned.

"I'm not sure why I just don't care for it anymore."

It was a phase, I suspect. I went through a Corona phase and a Heiniken phase as well. Haven't had either in years... decades, in fact.

I love a lot of Mexican beers, Dos Equis (green bottle) being my favorite, I find them to be very refreshing during the Texas summers. 

I definitely know about going through beer phases. I've been through a Sam Adams Lager phase, a Fat Tire phase, and Blue Moon phase. I can't remember the last time I drank any of them. 

I've definitely gone through the Heiniken, Blue Moon, and Sam Adams Lager phases (it's been a looong time since the Sam Adams Lager phase, though). I had Fat Tire on a bad blind date once, and it tasted a little like a bad memory, so those two things combined have led to me never having another one.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service