I can't believe we've gone this long without starting a beer thread. I enjoyed the one on the old board and actually tried some of the beverages that were liked by others.

I've discovered that I really like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I've never enjoyed the Boston Lager but this Oktoberfest is good stuff. I also finally tried Yeungling Black & Tan. Also very good.

Views: 3711

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have a World Market near us which lets us do that, but they charge $2 a bottle which come to twelve bucks a six, more expensive than any of the beers they sell! I can't see a serious beer drinker shopping there regularly. Sometimes I'll go through a "phase" and drink one brand of beer until I get sick of it. In that case, if I buy them at the gas station, I have to drink through the flat ones first. From then on out, as long as I keep buying the same brand, they stay fresh.
The Kroger's grocery stores around me have a make your own six pack @$8.99. That has actually allowed me to try some beers cheaper than buying a whole six pack at a per bottle price a few times. I do try to incorporate a beer or two a know I like after going through a couple of six packs of suck. Although right now they've had Rolling Rock 12 packs on sale, so that is what I've been buying.

I went to the market owned by my favorite bar to get some brews to celebrate Craft Beer week. I was hoping to get a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada's beer camp which is a variety of speciatly brews brewed at the brewery's beer camp every summer. Sadly they were sold out but they will be getting more in next week.

So not wanting to go empty handed I got a few other things. i bought a bomber (24 oz bottle) of Ace Berry Cider. Not for me. My brother and his wife love hard cider especially the ones produced by Ace. I'm not a fan of cider but Ace is a quality product from what I understand. I think the berry cider is new. Their pear cider is very popular, it's my sis-in-law's favorite. I'll probably take a sip of the berry to see how it is when they have it.  Does anyone like hard cider?

I then got a Terrapin Tom Foolery. It was also in a 24 oz bottle. It's a black saison. Saison's are Belgian Farm house ales. Typically they are more of a golden color. My brother has been really into the saisons lately so I got it for him. We'll probably split the bottle.

Finally I got a six pack of Anderson Valley Summer Solstice. It comes in a can, though an internet search shows it's available in the bottle as well. I am a beer snob but I still enjoy drinking a beer out of a can. It's a seasonal brew from Anderson Valley Brewery. The can says it's an ale. The description on the internet calls it a cream cerveza. Well I'm drinking one now. It fits for summer time. It's a crisp, refreshing beer with a great color to it. However it's like on flavor. It's good but I like a bit of a bite in my beer. Stil this will do. I'd give it a B.

I'm drinking another Summer Solstice now. I think because I had a ginger ale befor I had it last night it though the tast off. It has a unique tast. Still not hoppy but more flavor than last night. Still a refreshing brew. I'd give it a B+.
Jason Marconnet said:

Finally I got a six pack of Anderson Valley Summer Solstice. It comes in a can, though an internet search shows it's available in the bottle as well. I am a beer snob but I still enjoy drinking a beer out of a can. It's a seasonal brew from Anderson Valley Brewery. The can says it's an ale. The description on the internet calls it a cream cerveza. Well I'm drinking one now. It fits for summer time. It's a crisp, refreshing beer with a great color to it. However it's like on flavor. It's good but I like a bit of a bite in my beer. Stil this will do. I'd give it a B.

I'm enjoying a Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat at the end of a very long day.

Has A-B stopped making their American Ale? I had decided a while ago that that was going to be my "back-up" brew for when I couldn't make up my mind, but I found myself in that very dilemma at the grocery store yesterday. I tried to order one off the menu at a restaurant about a week ago, only to be informed they no longer served it. Come to think of it, I haven't seen it around in a while. If it couldn't make a go of it I'm not surprised. Aficionados would turn theur noses up at an A-B product, and it isn't yellow and fizzy enough for A-B fans.

I ended up buying a Sam Adams (Bostom Lager), a Samuel Smith's (Nut Brown Ale) and a Foster's Lager.

You know I haven't noticed if American Ale is still around. But you still got three good brews.
We tried the Hard Berry Cider on Sunday. Cider is not my thing, so I didn't like it. My brother didn't care for it either but his wife enjoyed it. It tasted like sparkling white grape juice more than anything berry.
I don't mind ciders, Jason. I just have to pick my spots when I drink them. I can drink beer and then cider, but not cider and then beer. Cider is so sweet it just kills my taste for beer after drinking 'em.
It depends what kind of beer I have first. If it's an IPA, then forget about having anything else. The stronger the hops, the more the next beer tastes like nothing. Ciders are too sweet for my tastes. I'd rather drink something with more of a bite. If you like ciders though, check out the ACE ciders. I think the Pear cider is the most popular. It tastes like nerds (candy), on sip is ok but a whole glass is a bit much for me. They also have one called the Joker. It's a mix between the apple and pear but watch out, it's 8%abv. It'll sneak up on you.

Travis Herrick said:
I don't mind ciders, Jason. I just have to pick my spots when I drink them. I can drink beer and then cider, but not cider and then beer. Cider is so sweet it just kills my taste for beer after drinking 'em.
I'm familiar with Ace, and I like their cider but they are pretty sweet.  If I see it I will drink Strongbow which isn't as sweet as like Ace or Woodchuck cider.
Does anyone like hard cider?

I'm not a fan.

I am a beer snob but I still enjoy drinking a beer out of a can.

I'll make an exception for Foster's Lager or Boddington's, but few others.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service