I can't believe we've gone this long without starting a beer thread. I enjoyed the one on the old board and actually tried some of the beverages that were liked by others.

I've discovered that I really like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I've never enjoyed the Boston Lager but this Oktoberfest is good stuff. I also finally tried Yeungling Black & Tan. Also very good.

Views: 3450

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From the on sale stash I bought last week, I'm trying Samuel Smith Winter Welcome. Beer advocate calls it a winter warmer. It's pretty tasty. At first it has a sweet syrupy smell that I tend to not like in beers. It's fairly smooth and drinkable though. Actually this is the first of the Sam Smith's I've had, surprisingly.
I did a pick six six-pack last week to give some beers I've never had before a test run. First up is Shock Top, which a friend of mine says is his favorite wheat beer. It is a really smooth beer, and I kind of dig it. It is surprisingly made by A-B.

Shock Top is pretty solid. similiar to Blue Moon, imo.

I tried a few beers this weekend. Tried the last of the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp, Double IPA. Solid IPA. Overall I'd say the beer camp from Sierra Nevada was a success.

I tried a Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom. This is similiar to a blue moon or shock top in that it has a orange flavor. It's not a wheat beer though. It's classified as a cream ale. I liked it but not sure it'd be something I would drink a lot of. It was really smooth with a mild flavor.

I went from mild flavor to a big flavor. I had a Mojo IPA. A good IPA. Pretty smooth for an IPA and drinkable. Still it had the tasty IPA flavor. I tried a Dog Fish Head Festina Peche. It's a sour beer. I didn't care for it. Tasted too much like candy.  Finally tried a Sierra Nevada Summerfest. Can't give a good review of it. After an IPA and a sour beer the Summerfest didn't taste like much.

I disagree on Shock Top. I found it thin and boring, not nearly as good as Blue Moon or the Samuel Adams wheat beer I tried recently. Not bad, but I wouldn't buy it again.
I like Shock Top, but I would say that it's far from being my favorite wheat beer. I far prefer Widmer Brothers (a recent find), Bell's Oberon, or good old fashioned Blue Moon or even Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat.

My favorite wheat beer, of recent memory anyways, is Pyramid's Hefeweizen, an unfiltered wheat beer.

Blue Moon I had like a 2 year love affair with, and I still like it, but I don't desire it any more.

Have we discussed the Tap Room Brewing Co.? They have a pale, an amber and a lager. True to form, I sampled the Moe's Backroom Amber Ale. It was a little sweet for my taste, but I just so happened to be eating some Canadian cheddar cheese at the time, to which it was the perfect complement.
Right now it is Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, which is described as a "weiss beer with lemonade". Kind of bland tasting IMO,and I taste the lemon flavor more when I burp it up than when it goes down. Not awful, just not much there.
A friend gave me a six-pack of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy after he toured their facilities in Wisconsin. I liked the first two quite a bit.

A couple of responses from discussions. First, wheat beer is not my first choice but this time of year I do like it. The other posters listed some pretty good wheat beer selections but my favorite would be Bell's Oberon.

Jeff, I don't remember a discussion on Tap Room Brewing Co. Though that Amber Ale sounds good. I have a soft spot for amber's because that was the first style my brother and I brewed.

I tried Summer Shandy once. It was ok, a bit too lemon-y. I enjoy the Lienenkugel brews. My favorite is probably their amber ale. Boring, I know. It's how I roll though. I liked the Sunset Wheat when I first tried it but now I think it's too sweet. Tastes like Fruity Pebbles to me.

Jeff, are you sure about American Ale being discontinued? I wasn't able to get confirmation of that online. It would be ironic if it is, because I just got around to trying it. My Publix had it in their single bottle selections, so I could taste it without committing to a six pack. I liked it pretty well. If I had tasted it blind I never would have guessed that A-B brewed it.

Jeff of Earth-J said:
Boulevard Pale Ale: Now that I’ve learned A-B no longer makes their American Ale, I’m looking for a new “fall back” beer. Among the contenders is Boulevard Pale Ale (brewed in Kansas City), an old favorite from my St. Louis days. It’s perfectly acceptable when I’m in a bit of a “hoppy” mood. Bonus: each six-pack comes in a box that’s the perfect size for storing comic books! I’ll often keep new purchases in Boulevard boxes until I have time to sort them properly. Remember when you were a kid and couldn’t wait to get the prize out of the box of cereal? With Boulevard, the prize is the box! (That may sound as if I don’t think mucj of their beers, but really I do.)

Jeff, are you sure about American Ale being discontinued?

I am not. I just haven't been able to find it anywhere lately.

I sampled two summer seasonals this weekend: Pyramid’s Curve Ball Blonde Ale and Twilight Summer Ale from the Deschutes Brewery of Bend, OR. Of the two, I preferred the Curve Ball, described on the label as a “crisp, golden ale.” It was neither too this nor too that, just what I was in the mood for. Twilight was a bit more hoppy than I was in the mood for, but I’d recommend it and drink it again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service