I can't believe we've gone this long without starting a beer thread. I enjoyed the one on the old board and actually tried some of the beverages that were liked by others.

I've discovered that I really like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I've never enjoyed the Boston Lager but this Oktoberfest is good stuff. I also finally tried Yeungling Black & Tan. Also very good.

Views: 3441

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Last week I had the Arrogant Bastard Ale. It was a little on the hoppy side for me, but it is also pretty strong and big (22oz bottle). So after a while it went down a lot smoother. A good not great beer I think. A really fun bottle to read though.

Travis Herrick said:
A really fun bottle to read though.

I transcribed the label back in January:

“This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory — maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this.”

It also says: “Questions or comments? If you don’t like this beer, keep it to yourself — we don’t want to hear from any sniveling yellow-beer-drinkin’ wimps, ‘cause this beer wasn’t made for you.”

I was pretty sure someone had mentioned it before, Jeff. I was just to lazy to go look.

Right now I am drinking a Zōn by Boulevard Brewing. It is their summer beer, a Belgian witbier. I can definitely taste the zing of the coriander, the orange peel not so much. It isn't bad.

I love Arrogant Bastard. I've only had it a few times, though. It's best on draft.
Went to Jacksonville yesterday. My buddy and I went to Intuition Brewery's tasting room. I had their People's Pale Ale. It was your standard pale ale. Tasty enough with a good hop flavor but not the best I ever had. He had their wheat beer which had a hoppier flavor for a wheat beer, he liked it though. I got a growler of their I-10 IPA for my brother. I did try a sample of it first though. Pretty good IPA, it had a strong floral hoppy taste.
I was in St. Louis last week and was pleased to discover that A-B does still make their American Ale. Now if I can only find somewhere in Texas that still sells it!
Right now I'm drinking Bully! Porter by Boulevard Brewing. A decent little beer with a definite smokey flavor to it.
You know, sometimes you just can't get better than a Sam Adams. I love the fact that Sam Adams is named after a teetotaler who owned a tavern.
The Bottle Shop, a new place in Dallas I may just have to check out.
Speaking of Dallas, I was on vacation there recently.  Unfortunately, I didn't know of The Bottle Shop but I bought a six pack sampler from the Real Ale Brewing Company  based in Blance, Texas that had two bottles each of three good brews.  Hopefully I'll get the chance to try more of their beers n the future.

I was in Tampa, FL for the week on business. Well actually it was for training, so I was in a classroom most of the day. Not a lot work. Anyways, I had a few beer-ventures while I was away.

There was a World of Beer by my hotel, so I decided to check it out. While they had a nice selection, I wasn't overly impressed. The beers were $1-$2 more than if I had gotten them at the bar I go to back home. Second the staff weren't as friendly and helpful as indicated on the website. The first beer I got was the Cigar City Maduro Brown. Cigar City is a local Tampa brewery which I have mentioned before. I've had the Maduro before, it's a solid brown ale. My next one was another brown ale, the Tilburg Dutch Brown. It as alright, a bit sweet for my taste.

The next night I went to Cigar City's tasting room. I've mentioned this before because I was there in February for my brother's bachelor party. The first one I tried was their ESB. It was tasty, smooth and drinkable. I liked it a lot. Pretty similar to the Red Hook ESB. Next I was being adventurous and tried their Oatmeal Raisin Cookie. Not sure what type of beer this was, it wasn't a stout even thought it was dark. This was good. I don't know if I'd get it again but it had a mild flavor yet tasted like it's name. I bought a growler of the ESB to take to my brother.

Friday I on my way home I stopped in Ocala to visit my brother for a few days. He had some Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA in the fridge and wanted me to try one. I did. Mighty fine IPA, if I do say so myself. We had the Cigar City ESB with the steak he cooked. He liked it but really loves beers with stronger hop flavor.

Saturday he took me to to a pizza place for dinner. They had quite a few craft beers on tap. I first had the Highlands Oatmeal Porter, pretty good brew. He had the Sierra Nevada saison (forgot the exact name). For our second we both got the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Black IPA. This by far was the best beer I had all week. Bold flavor and boy was it good.

It’s been too hot to drink beer recently, but it cooled off a bit over the weekend prompting me to try a Trout Slayer Ale (full name: Montana Trout Slayer Wheat Ale) from the Big Sky Brewing Co. of Missoula, MT. I didn’t expect to like this one, but it surprised me. For one thing, I had seen it sitting in the walk-in refrigerator (where the service station near my house keeps the craft beers) for several months now, so I knew it wasn’t fresh. For another, it was in a can. But I was in the mood for something different and something light, and this fit the bill on both counts. Actually, it was a little darker than I had anticipated (I saw that it referred to itself an ale, but the (old?) label didn’t say anything about it being a wheat.) I’ll have to keep an eye peeled for other Big Sky wares the next time I go to a real liquor store.

http://www.bigskybrew.com/Our_Beers

I saw "The Bottle Shop" featured in the Dallas Morning News last week, Travis, but I've never been there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service