I can't believe we've gone this long without starting a beer thread. I enjoyed the one on the old board and actually tried some of the beverages that were liked by others.

I've discovered that I really like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I've never enjoyed the Boston Lager but this Oktoberfest is good stuff. I also finally tried Yeungling Black & Tan. Also very good.

Views: 3793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

Beats the hell out of me. The only good thing you can say about the stuff is that it's cheap.

Not around here any more. It used to be, but since the hipsters drink all of the time the price has gone up. The only time I see it "cheap" is at a place that thinks all beers should be $5+ for a pint. Then I might see PBR for $4.

This being Texas though, if a joint has Lone Star it is usually cheaper. I always say it is an underrated beer, but almost no one agrees with me, so maybe I just like a bad beer. I'm fine with that. Ha! I just found out that Lone Star is owned by Pabst...go figure.

I've had Lone Star before. I had it a few times when I visited my buddy in Houston. It's not bad. is it the one that has the picture puzzles under the caps?

In the past ten years, we've seen several pop up here in Indiana--good ones, too--and then in the last five years it's exploded. A friend of mine has his own now that he's building up. I am always happy to partake in his taste tests. 3 Floyd's and Upland are my two favorites from Indiana, probably. But I am a big fan of Lagunitas (which is actually from California) and Bell's (Michigan, so kind of local).

We are in an era where we have a lot of really good beer available to us. In fact, when I went to Berlin a couple years ago, I expected to really love the beer there. It was okay, but they didn't really have any IPA's or anything with that kind of bite, which is what I like.

The craft beer industry has exploded in the last 5-7 years. In Tallahassee we have gotten brews from all over and you can find quite the variety at the grocery store. Due to distribution laws and what not we don't get everything such as 3 Floyds. Georgia is about 30 minutes away and they have some things we don't get here in Tallahassee. In fact they had New Belgium beers about a year before we got them in Florida.

The breweries have been popping up all over Florida as well. The biggest one with the farthest reach is Cigar City out of Tampa. We have two in Tallahassee with a 3rd on the way. Plus a couple of restaurants brew there own but you can only drink on premises. Lots of bars will have a tap dedicated to a craft beer or two. We also have two Brass Taps now and a World of Beer rumored on the way. Also a place that sells growlers. They have a good selection that constantly rotates. You can enjoy a pint or two and then take a growler to go. Also the state Legislature just passed a bill allowing 64 oz growlers, which is industry standard. In Florida you could only purchase 32 oz or 1 gallon growlers. I could go on and on about beer in Florida alone. It's been an interesting journey for many Brewers. A year ago when the 64 oz growler bill was being pushed the state distributer (owned by Anheiser Bush) got involved and changed the bill to where a craft brewery who produced a certain amount had to sell to the distributor and then by back at a markup in order to sell on premises. That would have destroyed craft beer in Florida. It didn't pass. This year the 64 oz growler passed without much of an issue.

I find it surprising but the larger producers like Budweiser are feeling a little bit of pressure from the craft breweries. Has anyone noticed any ads from bud more or less attacking craft beer? There were a few during the super bowl.

Anyways sorry for the long post.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I find it hard to believe that there will ever be a shortage of people buying Budweiser.

Jason Marconnet (Pint sized mod) said:

I find it surprising but the larger producers like Budweiser are feeling a little bit of pressure from the craft breweries. Has anyone noticed any ads from bud more or less attacking craft beer? There were a few during the super bowl.
Same here. But I think craft beers have cut into Big Beer's sales. It's a small percentage but I guess it's enough for them to go on the offensive.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I find it hard to believe that there will ever be a shortage of people buying Budweiser.

...Could you describe this ad , please , if possible link to it ?

Same here. But I think craft beers have cut into Big Beer's sales. It's a small percentage but I guess it's enough for them to go on the offensive.

http://youtu.be/siHU_9ec94c

I've toured Anheiser in St. Louis. I highly recommend it. I don't love all of their products but a few are fine. I don't care for this ad campaign though. Like I said before I'm surprised they're takkng this approach. I also don't think touting that the beer is aged in beechwood is the way to go.

Craft beer have cut into the percentage of Big Beer's sales, but so have wines, which are sweeter and thus appeal more to the Gen X crowd.

That may be, but not this Gen X-er. I like my wine (Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon) like I like my beer (IPA)--without even a trace of sweetness.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Craft beer have cut into the percentage of Big Beer's sales, but so have wines, which are sweeter and thus appeal more to the Gen X crowd.

The first time I saw M*A*S*H I was in high school and attended a showing at Lindenwood College in my home town. In the scene after which Trapper John has been named chief surgeon, the camera loses in on a box labeled "BLOOD PLASMA." When the box is opened, it's full of Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice. One of the college crown said (sarcastically). "PBR!" and everybody laughed.

The latest fad here is "hard" root beer. Before I made the switch to beer beer, I used to drink root beer (still do, sometimes), and it seemed the most natural thing in the world to made an alcoholic root beer, and I used to wonder why no one did. I tried one the other day. I would have really liked when I was in my teens or 20s. Now, not so much. I guess I was ahead of my time.

I saw an add for PBR in Sunday's paper. The copy said something along the lines of, "C'mon! You know you want to." I had no idea it was pandering to some "hipster" trend (but that makes sense, now that I think of it). Nothing bugs me more than hipsters gravitating to vinyl records because they sound "warmer," so it only makes sense that they would drink PBR, too.

[I've got to disagree with you about Lone Star, Trav.Yuck!]

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service