I can't believe we've gone this long without starting a beer thread. I enjoyed the one on the old board and actually tried some of the beverages that were liked by others.

I've discovered that I really like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I've never enjoyed the Boston Lager but this Oktoberfest is good stuff. I also finally tried Yeungling Black & Tan. Also very good.

Views: 3793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

TERRANS UNITE!: I broke one of my own rules over the weekend and bought a novelty beer. This is a “Star Trek Mirror Universe India Pale Lager” brewed by the Schmaltz Brewing Company. I have never heard of an IPW before, but it was interesting… both hoppy and malty. It came in a four pack so, as you may guess, was a bit expensive. I can’t say for certain that’s because of the beer or the licensing, but I can’t not recommend it if it sounds as interesting to you as it did to me.

I tried one a few weeks back. I didn't really care for it and won't be buying it again.

I won't be buying it again, either, but I still think it's worth trying.

I haven't contributed much to this thread lately, because Memphis has suddenly become a hotbed of craft breweries (six major ones, a handful of restaurants with their own beer). So now I'm drinking stuff that people on this board can't get, so it seems kinda pointless.

On another front, my cousin helped me box up all my action figures and we found my Valiant Comics beer from the Long Before Time: Darque Brew and Armstrong Ale.

J.W. LEES HARVEST ALE: This 2014 limited edition is brewed in Lagavulin whisky casks. (Lagavulin, as I mentioned elsewhere recently, is my second favorite single malt Scotch.) It is over 11% ABV, and cast $11 a bottle. Because it was Saturday, I paired it with a ¾ lb. slice of prime rib from Rudy’s. (I know Travis will be able to appreciate that.)

It served me well to imbibe earlier this week on 3 Floyds's Zombie Dust. The local bar tapped a keg for Halloween. If you've never had it, it's delicious--but allusive.

The beers I have been drinking lately tend to be more expensive, but I’m drinking fewer of them and enjoying them more. I used to never go to the “mix ‘n’ match” aisle because, when I sample a brew, I like to sample an entire six. The bottles below are mainly large bottles you wouldn’t want to drink six of at a time.

FULLER’S LIMITED EDITION VINTAGE ALE (2017): A single bottle comes in its own box along with a card which describes the differences of every single Limited Edition Vintage Ale since 1997, which is nice. I like to have something to read while I imbibe.

SMOKE ON THE BAYOU: Inspired by the Marzan I’ve been buying one bottle of every trip, I tried a bottle of this smoky beer from the Buffalo Bayou Brewing Company in Houston, TX. It was good, but I’m glad I discovered the Marzan first or I might never been tempted to try others.

ABITA BOURBON STREET RYE PALE ALE: I’ve tried things from the Abita Brewing Company before, but not this one. A few years ago I went through a phase where I drank little else besides Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. This is like that but the bourbon taste is more subtle. I may buy another one of these next time.

SAMUEL SMITH’S WINTER WELCOME ALE: A perennial favorite of mine. I was in the store when they were setting up an endcap display. If that’s not a sign I don’t know what is. I bought two four-packs. This will be my fall-back beer for the next several months, as long as it’s available.

Foster's Lager tonight. I saw it on the shelf at Walmart and decided to try it. It worked better with the food I was eating than on its own.

I've been enjoying quite a few Oktoberfest beers lately. Like Hacker-Pschorr's and Shiner's. I know I'm missing at least 2 or 3 I've tried that I don't remember the name of. I haven't been disappointed in any of them though. 

Cap, we have often talked about craft brews around here. Even if I can't enjoy them, I always like reading about them.

I tried two brews from the Odell Brewing Company of ft. Collins, CO this weekend.

DRUMROLL APA: As I’ve mentioned before, I have grown increasingly bored with IPAs. It seems every brewery has one. I’ve gotten to the point I won’t even try one anymore. I’ve been drinking so many malty beverages lately, though, that I was in the mood to try something a little more hop-forward (and my favorite, New Belgium’s Shift) is no longer available in my area. This one fit the bill. 5.3% ABV.

RUPTURE FRESH GRIND ALE: This ale is made using a process I have never heard of before. The hops are ground, which “ruptures” the lupulin inside which and releases oils which give it its flavor. The hops are ground and used in the same day. I’m likely to try both of these brews again.

DALE’S PALE ALE: Still on my quest for a light (in color) brew that is not an IPA, I tried Dale’s Pale Ale. Whereas I have certainly had it before, I didn’t remember it so it was almost like trying a new beer. I could see this being my fall back brew for the next little while. It’s brewed by the Oskar Blues Brewery in Austin, TX. Oddly, it is described on the label as “Mountain Pale Ale.” There are no mountains in Austin last time I checked, but I will be going there again this coming weekend and will take another look.

Tim mentioned Fosters Lager a couple of posts back...? Dale's Pale Ale reminds me of Fosters Premium Ale (the one in the green oil can).

FIREMANS 4 BLANDE ALE: Again, another one I’ve tried before and forgotten, and again, another Texas Brew (from the real Ale Brewing Company in Blanco, TX). I thought it had a funny aftertaste, like a non-alcoholic brew (and, yes, I have tried non-alcoholic beverages before).

Sweet Baby Jesus--the best porter I've ever had! Granted, I don't normally enjoy porters. But man, this one is fantastic.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service