I can't believe we've gone this long without starting a beer thread. I enjoyed the one on the old board and actually tried some of the beverages that were liked by others.

I've discovered that I really like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I've never enjoyed the Boston Lager but this Oktoberfest is good stuff. I also finally tried Yeungling Black & Tan. Also very good.

Views: 2913

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's not Budweiser or Yeungling if that's your go-to. My favorites are always IPAs, so I'm pretty partial to the Arctic Panzer Wolf and the Zombie Dust. The Gumball Head is also really good, even though its flavor is a bit more subdued.

I have a bomber of Dark Lord that is supposed to age two years before breaking the wax seal. I'm down to one year left!

Captain Comics said:

I listed the book in the Guide, and wondered if the beer was any good.

I usually end up favoring IPAs or pilsners myself. We've got some local brews I get if they're available, Wiseacre's Tiny Bomb or Ghost River (which is actually an ale).

I am familiar with 3 Floyds. Unfortunately their beers do no make it to Florida. I will have to check out this comic though.

As far as the location. I have been to many craft breweries and for the most part they are in warehouse type areas. So I know what you're talking about. However, as craft beer becomes increasingly popular a few are popping up in areas other than your industrial disctricts. For instance one brewery in my town will be opening up in a newly renovated Mall. There are currently two breweries here one is in an art park, at the other is in a remodeled warehouse that also holds a whiskey bar, a pizza joint and a coffee shop. Both are within walking distance. There is another that is in a warehouse district. There's a fifth opening soon that will be in a warehouse district as well, I believe. I haven't driven by that area yet to check it out.

I made the mistake today of buying two Ballast Point beers that I hadn't tried yet.

They have a Watermelon Sculpin and a Habanero Sculpin. I had been told that both were "not what I expected" and were "surprisingly delicious".

They were EXACTLY what I expected out of both, and were NOT delicious.

I will stick with the Pineapple and, better yet, the Grapefruit Sculpin.

So a couple of weeks ago I was at a British pub semi-close to me, and there is a dude there who only qorks there once a week. As he said I want some one to go on a flight with me, so I got to take quite a few beer samplers with him. It was pretty cool.

1. Tallgrass Zombie Monkey Porter -  A really good brew. It didn't taste strong, but it was. An excellent porter that wasn't too hoppy.

2. Spring Cleaning by Cobra. Woof, this was a whiskey soaked beer with a touch of cocoa nibs. Not terrible, but man there was a lot going on here.  Really strong

3. Next there was Epic Los Locos, which was a beer aged in tequila casks. Pretty good, but then again I like tequila.

4. Next we has Alesmith coffee beer. Well, I don't like coffee, so you might like this a lot better than me

5. Wow, the Brewery Autumn Maple was way too sweet for me, Pretty terrible, but you may like it

6. Finally, we have the Revolver Ourobouros, which was pretty good. For real

I have broken one one my key tenants (don't buy beer with fruit in it) and been going through a Grapefruit Sculpin phase. I've tried the watermelon (definately an aquired taste), but haven't seen the habenero. Or maybe I have seen it but didn't register it (I've tried beer flavored with peppers before).

In summary, Grapefruit Sculpin: good.

beer + fruit = heresy!

I love the Grapefruit and Pineapple Sculpins.

I hated the Watermelon and the Habanero. These two just taste like someone hates me.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I have broken one one my key tenants (don't buy beer with fruit in it) and been going through a Grapefruit Sculpin phase. I've tried the watermelon (definately an aquired taste), but haven't seen the habenero. Or maybe I have seen it but didn't register it (I've tried beer flavored with peppers before).

In summary, Grapefruit Sculpin: good.

I haven't tried the pineapple; I'm not a big pineapple fan. Tracy likes pineapple, but she's not a big beer drinker.

The thing about the Habanero Sculpin is that the pepper is incredibly overpowering.

It's not like the hint of peppers that you would get in a Shiraz--it's like drinking hot sauce with a little bit of beer in it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service