I can't believe we've gone this long without starting a beer thread. I enjoyed the one on the old board and actually tried some of the beverages that were liked by others.

I've discovered that I really like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I've never enjoyed the Boston Lager but this Oktoberfest is good stuff. I also finally tried Yeungling Black & Tan. Also very good.

Views: 3476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

“I've been through a Sam Adams Lager phase, a Fat Tire phase, and Blue Moon phase.”

“I've definitely gone through the Heiniken, Blue Moon, and Sam Adams Lager phases.”

Me, too!

Never liked BLue Moon. That's the one with orange accents, right? Can't stand fruit with my beer, limes excluded.

My wife and I went through a black-and-tan phase, where we'd try to make them at home. Out in the world, we're mostly drinking local craft brews. Memphis now has four major breweries, several minor ones and now a whiskey distillery (Old Dominick). I may never drink a national brand again!

SAM ’76: I posted about this one back in July, but I’m posting about it again. It’s hard to find anywhere other than a well-stocked liquor store. Over the weekend we went out for a steak and I was greeted with what I call the “Three Weak Sisters” as beer selections (i.e., Bud-Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite). They also had Sam Adams, which is my fallback, so I ordered that. I was expecting the Boston Lager but was pleased to discover is was the Sam ’76, on draft. It was delicious. We went shopping the next day, but even the recently-expanded beer section of our usual grocery store didn’t stock it. On Sunday we went to one of those hoity-toity grocery stores, but I didn’t find it there, either. What I did find was...

G.P.A. – “The Above Average Beer” – Three Nations Brewery Company: First of all, I should mention that “G.P.A.” is play on words meaning both “Grade Point Average” as well as “German Pale Ale.” (The “A” on the label is circled with a “+” next to it.) The can copy reads…

“What’s in a GPA? The unadventurous say midterms, flash cards, and all-nighters. We take a more redical approach. After all, who cares what you graduated with? Our GPA consists of a subtle blend of bitterness accompanied by passion fruit, citrus and tropical fruit like aromas. Go ahead, enjoy this above average beer, because your intelligence can’t be refined in the classroom.”

Okay, that’s a pretty good description… of the beer and the brewery’s philosophy… and I agree with them both. It’s a local brew (from Farmer’s branch, TX), so anyone other than Travis may have trouble finding it (but Travis, if you’re reading this, I recommend you check it out). 5.27 ABV.

I like your naming of the Three Weak Sisters, I just call them The Usual. Which is why I usually opt for Shiner Bock, as that is almost always available around here.

I've seen G.P.A. before, but I've never tried it. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've been drinking quite a bit of Deep Ellum Brewery's Dallas Blonde. I probably wouldn't have initially,but they had some controversy with their slogan: Goes down easy. They took it off, but then a couple of months later put it back. I admired their pluck and gave it a show. I think its a really good beer, and it is so easy to find these days that even the Walgreens by my LCS stocks it.

I was at Total Wine and More on Friday, and decided to buy singles of a bunch of different beers. Which I haven't tried any of yet.

I also have a six pack of of Manhattan Project Beer's (love that name) Necessary Evil, which is a pilsner.It is a solid beer, very crisp and tasty. 5.3 ABV

“I've been drinking quite a bit of Deep Ellum Brewery's Dallas Blonde… they had some controversy with their slogan: Goes down easy. They took it off, but then a couple of months later put it back.”

I hadn’t heard about that. I know I’ve had their Blonde, but I don’t remember anything about it specifically. I’ll have to try it again. I know my LGS (Local Grocery Store) stocks it.

“I… decided to buy singles of a bunch of different beers.”

I usually don’t do that because places usually charge $2 a bottle (or $12 a six), more expensive than any of the beers individually. Besides, I really need a six to get a good feel for it.

“I also have a six pack of of Manhattan Project Beer's (love that name) Necessary Evil”, which is

I know I’ve seen that one. I’ll have to give it a try, too.

Let me know what you think of that G.P.A.

Jeff said:

I usually don’t do that because places usually charge $2 a bottle (or $12 a six), more expensive than any of the beers individually. Besides, I really need a six to get a good feel for it.

I usually don't either, Jeff. But it had been a long time since I had done it, and I wanted try a variety of beers without being saddled with a bunch I didn't like. Plus, I figure 2 bucks a pop is still cheaper than any bar.

Here a couple more that I tried. These aren't Texas craft beers, so everyone might be able to find them. I dunno how hard they are to get.

Reissdorf Kolsch by Heinrich Reissdorf -  Like I always say I've never had a bad kolsch, nor an awesome one. They are always good. This is a step above the normal kolsch, it just has a fuller flavor than you normally find in one.

Spare Rib Pale Ale by COOP Ale Works - The problem with pale ales is the some lean to far to an IPA for me. Spare Rib is one of them. WAAYY too hoppy. Sensei might like this one. I couldn't even finish the one I got. 4.0ABV, but its from Oklahoma, so what do you expect?

I should probably mention that I found the G.P.A. at Sprouts. When I tried to find it at TW&M this weekend, they had one unit (meaning one can). I was so focused on finding G.P.A. (or something like it), I completely forgot to look for either the Dallas Blonde or the Sam ’76. I did buy the one can… at two bucks.

“Plus, I figure 2 bucks a pop is still cheaper than any bar.”

Tell me about it. When I got my check at the restaurant week before last, I found out they charged me $8 a glass for the Sam ’76 (and I had two classes!)!

YESSIR! PALE ALE: This is the one I ended up buying (from the Community Beer Co., Dallas). It said Pale Ale on the label but make no mistake: it was an India Pale Ale. My first clue should have been the hop on the label. Fine if that’s your style, but it wasn’t what I was in the mood for.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service