I can't believe we've gone this long without starting a beer thread. I enjoyed the one on the old board and actually tried some of the beverages that were liked by others.

I've discovered that I really like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I've never enjoyed the Boston Lager but this Oktoberfest is good stuff. I also finally tried Yeungling Black & Tan. Also very good.

Views: 2919

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That AB ad is pathetic (and I'm from St. Louis). It's easy to attack beers made with fruit, but it's difficult to defend their weak, yellow, p*ss-water lager.

The AB tour Jason mentioned is worth going on if you are ever in the area. It used to be that every adult who took the tour was eligible for two complimentary beers at the end of the tour (and every adult who visited Grant's Farm where the Clydesdales are stabled, too), but that practice has long since been abandoned. If you worked in the brewery, it used to be (until sometime in the '90s) you could drink free beer on the job, too.

When did this change? I went in 2009 and received to free beverages. Of course a lot can change in 4 years.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The AB tour Jason mentioned is worth going on if you are ever in the area. It used to be that every adult who took the tour was eligible for two complimentary beers at the end of the tour (and every adult who visited Grant's Farm where the Clydesdales are stabled, too), but that practice has long since been abandoned. If you worked in the brewery, it used to be (until sometime in the '90s) you could drink free beer on the job, too.

I went last year and got two free.

Special label from artist Clayton Crain available at MacLeod and Long Beach Comic Con events

LOS ANGELES (August 25, 2015) – The Hero Initiative, the charity dedicated to helping veteran comic creators in medical or financial need, is teaming with a fast-on-the-rise Los Angeles brewery for great and fun beer-centric events in September!

Comic book artist Clayton Crain (Ghost Rider, Carnage) has created a special, limited-edition label for The King’s Taxes, MacLeod Ale’s acclaimed sixty-shilling Scottish Ale. Crain’s art will be available on a limited run of bottles, signed prints, and commemorative pint glasses.

The party gets started at MacLeod’s tasting room:

Thursday, Sep. 10 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.

14741 Calvert St.

Van Nuys, CA 91411

Clayton Crain will be in attendance to autograph bottles and glasses, and other comic artists will also be in attendance for great events. The full line of MacLeod’s fine beers will be available.

The party moves to the Long Beach Comic Con Sep. 12 and 13 at the Long Beach Convention Center. Hero Initiative will be exhibiting at the con, and Clayton Crain will also be in attendance. Hero and the con will host a special tasting event for The King’s Taxes on Saturday, Sep. 12 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., and Hero will have a full selection of The King’s Taxes merchandise all weekend!

"Clayton blew us away with his amazing illustration for one of our much-loved beers, The King's Taxes, a Scottish sixty-shilling ale,” sais Jennifer Febre Boase, owner and operator of MacLeod. “It really brings the name to life! We can't wait to make it available, and are very excited about this opportunity to contribute to a very worthwhile and noble cause. Cheers to Clayton and everyone involved in making this happen!"

About The Hero Initiative

The Hero Initiative is the first-ever federally chartered not-for-profit corporation dedicated strictly to helping comic-book creators in need. Hero creates a financial safety net for yesterday’s creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. It’s a chance for all of us to give back something to the people who have given us so much enjoyment.

Since its inception, The Hero Initiative has granted more than $700,000 to the comic-book veterans who have paved the way. For more information, visit www.heroinitiative.org or call 626-676-6354.

For more information, please visit us at www.heroinitiative.org.

I went two years ago and got free beer as well.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

I went last year and got two free.

Jason, Lone Star has something weird like that going underneath the bottle caps.

Jeff, I saw one of those hard root beers near me called Not Your Dad's Root Beer, I thought about picking it up but it was $11-12 for a six pack. I decided to pass.

Right now I'm drinking Dos Equis Azul. Its a lager flavored with blue agave nectar and spices. It is okay, reminds me a little bit of a Witbier, but not nearly as strong with the spices, but still obviously there.

I've seen a lot of hard root beers lately. A year ago my ex bought be a 4 pack of Sprecher's hard root beer. Now sprecher makes a darn good root beer but the hard was not my thing. At the time it was the only one I ever saw. Now I see a bunch. Not your Father's root beer is good. I've tried Mission hard root beer and it's decent. I prefer my root beer unleaded. The alcohol gives most of them a weird after taste.

Travis, my buddy doesn't live in Houston anymore. I enjoyed drinking lone star and trying to figure out the puzzles under the caps. Also I miss visiting Houston in General. It's a fun city.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Jason, Lone Star has something weird like that going underneath the bottle caps.

Jeff, I saw one of those hard root beers near me called Not Your Dad's Root Beer, I thought about picking it up but it was $11-12 for a six pack. I decided to pass.

Right now I'm drinking Dos Equis Azul. Its a lager flavored with blue agave nectar and spices. It is okay, reminds me a little bit of a Witbier, but not nearly as strong with the spices, but still obviously there.

I have seen many Hard Root Beers around here as well, Jason. I don't like sweet beers at all, though, and that's all I can conjure when I try to figure out what they would taste like. If I want root beer, I'll drink me some Triple XXX. If I want beer-beer, I'll drink beer-beer.

...I thought that Millennials were the thing now and Gen-Xers were , essentially , supposed to roll over and die !!!!!!!!! Boomers are still tolerated/considered as enuff a source of money for some...Late-end Boomers/early-end Xers(like me/myself/moi) had a phrase for them , " Generation Jones " , which never caught on !...

ClarkKent_DC said:

Craft beer have cut into the percentage of Big Beer's sales, but so have wines, which are sweeter and thus appeal more to the Gen X crowd.

Jason Marconnet (Pint sized mod) said:

Same here. But I think craft beers have cut into Big Beer's sales. It's a small percentage but I guess it's enough for them to go on the offensive.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I find it hard to believe that there will ever be a shortage of people buying Budweiser.

I find it surprising but the larger producers like Budweiser are feeling a little bit of pressure from the craft breweries. Has anyone noticed any ads from bud more or less attacking craft beer? There were a few during the super bowl.

..." The Silent Generation " is the Korean War generation , so to speak...which never got a President !!!!!!!!! Sniff . Got no respect neither .

All of the " Generation "s I am citing here WERE used SOMEWHERE ~ Really , they WERE !

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...I thought that Millennials were the thing now and Gen-Xers were , essentially , supposed to roll over and die !!!!!!!!! Boomers are still tolerated/considered as enuff a source of money for some...Late-end Boomers/early-end Xers(like me/myself/moi) had a phrase for them , " Generation Jones " , which never caught on !...

ClarkKent_DC said:

Craft beer have cut into the percentage of Big Beer's sales, but so have wines, which are sweeter and thus appeal more to the Gen X crowd.

Same here. But I think craft beers have cut into Big Beer's sales. It's a small percentage but I guess it's enough for them to go on the offensive.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I find it hard to believe that there will ever be a shortage of people buying Budweiser.

I find it surprising but the larger producers like Budweiser are feeling a little bit of pressure from the craft breweries. Has anyone noticed any ads from bud more or less attacking craft beer? There were a few during the super bowl.

AB stopped offering free beer sometime in the '90s. If you guys have taken the tour recently and gotten free beer, they must have changed their policy back in the 15 years (!) I've been in Texas. Good to know.

I must agree about the hard root beers. It's not quite good root beer or good beer. It does have an aftertaste, and no head.

I've heard late Baby Boomers referred to as "Tweeners" (i.e., between "true" Boomers and Gen X).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service