As we are about to embark one the next box of my unread comics, I would like to thank all of you who come to read and/or comment on these threads. When I first started this project back in July 2006  (really?) on the old board I never thought I would even make it through the first box. The threads have helped keep me semi-honest here.

I'm pretty excited about this upcoming box. It is a very eclectic mix of comics. There are a bunch of my old standbys. Like Legion comics, Daredevil, Marvel Team-up, war comics. There is a ton of other stuff like '80s black and white comics, some Kirby, a touch of Vertigo. I don't know how much will inspire me to write about, and if it does others to comment, but I am looking forward to it.

I'm really stoked to have you with me. Let's get it on!

Views: 2812

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

..Was it still the #1-selling book ( standard format - " Not MAD " , e.g. ) .

  I thouht that , doubtless with TV help , the emyonomous(Sp??) ARCHIE title overtook it in the late 60s .

  Did Kal fight , fly , back up a following year ?

Man, I don't have any idea. This was well before my time.

...Okay , thank you , I have ` often ` wondered what the #1-selling comic book was , various years .

Superman #261

February 1973

Cover art by: Nick Cardy

Story: Slave of Star Sapphire!

Writer: Carey Bates

Pencils: Curt Swan

Inks: Murphy Anderson

I am just a sucker when a hero fights a villain from someone else's rogues gallery. I was really stoked to see how they brought Superman and Star Sapphire together. Some sort of devious plan of Sapphire's? Superman having to replace Green Lantern on some case? Nope, Carol Ferris is flying to Metropolis, and she just happens to peer out with some binoculars at a place called the Green Lantern and sees Superman capturing some criminal. Her deranged mind sees it as Superman fighting Green Lantern and she thinks the Man of Steel killed the Green Gladiator.

How did Superman get there? That is rather lame as well. Clark was flying back to Metropolis as well in a separate helicopter and saw the police surrounding the Green Lantern with his telescopic vision. The helicopter is equipped with the newest of safety devices! It has a side ejection seat that shoots him and another passenger out who is asleep. Who remains sleeping the entire time until Superman flies away. Hilarious!

Back in Metropolis proper Lois Lane is doing a story on Star Sapphire, and the curator in charge of an exhibit on her and the gem, star sapphire, gives Lois a costume to wear with a fake gem in the tiara. Anyone see where this is going? It is the real gem! Carol eventually gains control of the sapphire and becomes Star Sapphire once again! Superman shows up, and since he can't hit a girl (he can't?) she takes control over him with the jewel by placing it around his neck. Just when she commands the Man of Steel to destroy the Galaxy Building, Lois comes out in her own Star Sapphire outfit and tells him to fly straight up. Carol Sapphire gets mad and yells at Supes to fly back down. This causes the gem to slip off of his neck, releasing him from her control.

Carol takes the gem and disappears and just a few days later she is back to normal, and has a sense of relief when she reads in the paper about Green Lantern adventure.

Wow what a bad comic. Such a wasted opportunity for some greatness. I do like the cover though.

This was one of the first comics I ever had!

Ah cool! Do you still have it? And uh sorry for ripping it.

Philip Portelli said:

This was one of the first comics I ever had!

I like her costume. When they had Carol accept the Star Saphire ring in the GL animated series I'd hope we see more of her.

I have another one. The original was read to shreds. Though looking at it now, it was Maxim for ten-year olds! Plus it also reinforced DC's position that "girls" are bad news!

I'm going to say that this was Carol Ferris' last appearance as Star Sapphire until the 80s as they introduced a new Star Sapphire in Secret Society of Super-Villains. Also Green Lantern was the back-up in The Flash at this time and Carol never appeared there, so Superman was attacked by the psychotic ex-girlfriend of one of his buddies!
 
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Ah cool! Do you still have it? And uh sorry for ripping it.

Philip Portelli said:

This was one of the first comics I ever had!

Not quite; she became Star Sapphire again in DC Comics Presents #6.

...Yepper , that cover is ~ MUCH ~ JOKED- ~ ABOUT !!!!!!!!!!!

  Not that there's anything wrong with that !!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Superman #261

February 1973

Cover art by: Nick Cardy

Story: Slave of Star Sapphire!

Writer: Carey Bates

Pencils: Curt Swan

Inks: Murphy Anderson

I am just a sucker when a hero fights a villain from someone else's rogues gallery. I was really stoked to see how they brought Superman and Star Sapphire together. Some sort of devious plan of Sapphire's? Superman having to replace Green Lantern on some case? Nope, Carol Ferris is flying to Metropolis, and she just happens to peer out with some binoculars at a place called the Green Lantern and sees Superman capturing some criminal. Her deranged mind sees it as Superman fighting Green Lantern and she thinks the Man of Steel killed the Green Gladiator.

How did Superman get there? That is rather lame as well. Clark was flying back to Metropolis as well in a separate helicopter and saw the police surrounding the Green Lantern with his telescopic vision. The helicopter is equipped with the newest of safety devices! It has a side ejection seat that shoots him and another passenger out who is asleep. Who remains sleeping the entire time until Superman flies away. Hilarious!

Back in Metropolis proper Lois Lane is doing a story on Star Sapphire, and the curator in charge of an exhibit on her and the gem, star sapphire, gives Lois a costume to wear with a fake gem in the tiara. Anyone see where this is going? It is the real gem! Carol eventually gains control of the sapphire and becomes Star Sapphire once again! Superman shows up, and since he can't hit a girl (he can't?) she takes control over him with the jewel by placing it around his neck. Just when she commands the Man of Steel to destroy the Galaxy Building, Lois comes out in her own Star Sapphire outfit and tells him to fly straight up. Carol Sapphire gets mad and yells at Supes to fly back down. This causes the gem to slip off of his neck, releasing him from her control.

Carol takes the gem and disappears and just a few days later she is back to normal, and has a sense of relief when she reads in the paper about Green Lantern adventure.

Wow what a bad comic. Such a wasted opportunity for some greatness. I do like the cover though.

Darnit! That was one of the few DCCP that I didn't buy when it came out so it's not as accessable as the other ones like I remember Back Canary's cameo in #7, for example!
 
Luke Blanchard said:

Not quite; she became Star Sapphire again in DC Comics Presents #6.

Superman #269

November 1973

Cover art by: Nick Cardy

Story: The Secret of the Eighth Superman!

Writer: Carey Bates

Pencils: Curt Swan

Inks: Murphy Anderson

I am quickly learning why I don't buy Superman back issues: they are usually bad. This one is no exception, so I don't know how much I will get into this one. A guy who runs a circus, BB Farnum, gets the secret out of his top performer, a puppeteer, on how he animates the puppets. The puppeteer dies. The problem is that we never learn what the secret is (I guess magic), and it is hard to really care about the bad guy.

Anyway, he creates a bunch of Superman puppets and they are somehow able to find the Man of Steel even when he is just Clark Kent. Again never explained how. Each one is able to steal one and only one of his powers before escaping. Farnum then plans to have the puppets transfer all of the power to himself. Superman uses some wacky method to light one of the circus tents on fire and Farnum has the puppets put it out. When they get done Farnum has all of Superman's powers sent to him. Except it is really Superman! He used the distraction to knock out Farnum and take his place. He then used his super-ventriloquism to mimic Farnum.

Really the better part of the story was the sub-plot of Clark being assigned to film a documentary of WGBS's sports anchor, Steve Lombard, who is an ex-football player. Morgan Edge wants a week in the life. Here we get an angry, jerk Superman. Supes uses his heat vision to snap some cables on a weight machine to knock-out Lombard. Later uses a burp to cover him blowing down a giant football helmet on Lombard to trap him, so he could fly off and be a hero.

Also, no one found eight ways to kill Superman. That answers the question on the cover.

I like the Superman comics of this era much more than you do and have praised them in the past, which should probably destroy your faith in my judgement. I like the Swan and Anderson art, the way Superman's working life was depicted, and the Morgan Edge and Steve Lombard characters. The Metropolis of the era had a strong sense of reality, with a look and very many details reflecting ordinary life in contemporary New York. The stories were told from Superman's point of view and would follow him as he worked through a problem, which approach cast him as a thoughtful hero.

 

Cary Bates was a plot-oriented/surprise-twist-oriented writer. I think would have pegged this tale as having an interesting if not outstanding plot. (I haven't read the Star Sapphire one.) When it appeared Lombard was a fairly new character, and for a while very many of the stories would have sequences in which he'd pick on Clark and Clark would take revenge using his superpowers. At this point the feature avoided using Silver Age Superverse elements, didn't have much fight action, and didn't make much use of continued stories. Later in the decade the approach used changed in these respects.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service