As we are about to embark one the next box of my unread comics, I would like to thank all of you who come to read and/or comment on these threads. When I first started this project back in July 2006  (really?) on the old board I never thought I would even make it through the first box. The threads have helped keep me semi-honest here.

I'm pretty excited about this upcoming box. It is a very eclectic mix of comics. There are a bunch of my old standbys. Like Legion comics, Daredevil, Marvel Team-up, war comics. There is a ton of other stuff like '80s black and white comics, some Kirby, a touch of Vertigo. I don't know how much will inspire me to write about, and if it does others to comment, but I am looking forward to it.

I'm really stoked to have you with me. Let's get it on!

Views: 2835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Zatanna actually changed costumes on their date, in JLA 187. And as you can see, it went well; pots boiled over. (Hopefully this image isn't too big,)

Oh, and Trav, there's a Demons Three appearance that's not that long before this one -- only 5 years or so earlier, in 1977's JLA/JSA/Legion crossover. JLA 147-148 loom pretty large in the books that made me a comics fan, so for me, the Demons Three seem like some of the JLA's greatest untapped adversaries.

Thank you, Rob! That's what I get for relying on my memory after THIS week! But I did remember it was Don Heck who drew Zatanna's costume first....in Justice League of America. George Perez debuted it in New Teen Titans #4. When I bought it, the cover really confused me!

But you can see how it made her look a bit older, especially without the ponytail. Dick Dillin drew her like she was 10 years younger than the other JLAers as did Jim Aparo when she teamed with Batman in B&B #169 (D'80). Mike Sekowsky and Dick Giordano portrayed her about the same age as the other heroes, though perhaps about a couple of years younger.

As for the Demons Three, JLA #147-148 took place in the 30th century so this was their next appearance chronologically.

Oh, right -- good point!

Oh yeah also I didn't realize that the demons were so tall. I always thought they would be shorter. Maybe it was their Who's Who entry were they didn't even get a full page entry, so they were shrunk down to fit in there.

Thanks, Robin. I enjoy doing it, and I like the variety I have in the comics I read. This box I am just breezing through to. It usually takes me about a year to read a box, but I may finish this box this month, so that will be around 9-10 months to read this one.

You never know though, some of those comics you have maybe better than you know. Plus, reading those older books you feel like you are getting your moneys worth.

Marvel Chillers #7

October 1976

Cover art by: Jack Kirby and Dan Adkins

Story: The Masque of the Green Death!

Writer: Jim Shooter

Pencils: George Tuska

Inks: Sal Trapani

The main problem with this comic is there is a great power discrepancy between our heroes and the villain. Tigra is teamed up with Red Wolf here. She is no match at all against the Super Skrull, you know the dude with all of the the powers of the Fantasic Four? Red Wolf if worse off, he can't even handle the Skrull's robot! Old Super Skrull is after a magical Indian item called “the soul catcher”. Red Wolf's wolf, Lobo, has it and takes off with it. This is what saves the good guys. As the Super Skrull goes running after it, and this allows Tigra to save Red Wolf from the robot.

The Skrull was digused as a human and was leading a “motely” [sic] crew of robbers known at the Rat Pack. He had revealed his alien self and was about to kill his gang until Tigra arrived. The Rat Pack got the heck out of Dodge through a tunnel. Red Wolf and Tigra use the same tunnel to leave as well. Once topside they find Lobo and the Super Skrull. Lobo escapes the Skrull somehow and returns to the pair. Police arrive on the scene to arrest the heroes, because the building they exited from blew up. Lobo drops the soul catcher and runs off, Tigra and Red Wolf are led away in handcuffs. Oddly, they allow Red Wolf to keep the soul catcher (he picked it up).

After they are booked, the captain of the police station takes them to his office. He convinces Red Wolf to hand him the soul catcher, and it is the Super Skrull in disguise! He has killed the real captain. Oh no! Tigra and Red Wolf attack anew. Tigra with ferocity she has never know before. The Skrull whips out the soul catcher to use its full power upon her. She feel tremendous pain, but then the magical wand sucks up the Super Skrull's soul instead. The police have now busted into the office and see the dead police captain. They blame Tigra and Red Wolf, of course, who then run away. That night Tigra laments the fact that the soul catcher would rather take the Skrull's soul than her's. She is just too inhuman for it. Red Wolf counters that it took the Skrull's because he was evil and she was not. He also tries to convince Tigra to stick around so they can clear their names. She says no, and runs off.

This was the final issue of Tigra's run, and the series' as well. People complain today that series aren't given enough time to grow. Tigra got all of four issues here, the first three had a different lead. The art by Tuska and Trapani was okay. Also, I had no idea that Red Wolf was an Avenger, you learn something new everyday.

Red Wolf was a lame one-shot gueststar in about Avengers #80, and it appeared to be a nod to American Indians or native Americans.  I don't recall his being used again, and so, I never really thought of him as an Avenger at all.  In fact, I was surprised to learn that he was here in this story!  Is this soul-catcher the same thing as that odd staff that Skrully was after in Marvel Team-up featuring Spidey and (who?) Ms. Marvel?  I'm pretty sure that two-parter was drawn by Byrne. Is that the next appearance of Skrully?

You are absolutely right about being over-powered. It was a bad match-up to begin with.

The only appearance of the Super-Skrull that I really liked was his appearance in the two part Alpha Flight #9+10 with Sasquatch at the northpole...

Plus, I have a fondness for the lame Captain Marvel two parter in #2 & #3.

Red Wolf would sometimes appear on lists of Avengers, sometimes he wouldn't. Apparently it was some sort of honorary thing like Sargon the Sorcerer with the Justice League.

The funny thing was that he later got his own book! The funnier thing was that Red Wolf #1 (My'72) was set in the Old West and had no real connection with the guy who debuted in Avengers #80 (S'70). The funniest thing was that with Red Wolf #7 (My'73), the series got rebooted and set in the "present" but he had a different alter ego than the Avengers' guest star and it was written or plotted by Gardner Fox! Not-so-funny was that the book got cancelled with #9.

After that came his guest spot with Tigra in Marvel Chillers # 5-7 (Ju-O'76). He was there for three out of the five Tigra adventures.

He reappeared in Incredible Hulk #265 (N'81) as part of the Rangers, an odd grouping of Marvel's Western super-heroes. They would have a later impact on Steve Englehart's West Coast Avengers. They included the Texas Twister, Shooting Star and more importantly, Firebird and the Night Rider/Phantom Rider.

Sounds like they didn't know what to do with the fellow...and were using him to maintain the copyright!

Is this soul-catcher the same thing as that odd staff that Skrully was after in Marvel Team-up featuring Spidey and (who?) Ms. Marvel?  I'm pretty sure that two-parter was drawn by Byrne. Is that the next appearance of Skrully?

I don't know if it is the same or not, Kirk. I've read a fair amount of MTU, but that one doesn't ring a bell. I probably skipped it (back issue bins I should clarify) since I've never been a big Ms. Marvel fan. I do wonder how Super Skrull came back though, since the dream catcher did absorb his body and soul. Anyone have the answer to that, or was it never mentioned again? I would suspect the latter, but someone may have explained it away.

Good info on the Red Wolf, Philip, I barely remember the guy at all. Outside of the Blaze of Glory mini Marvel did.  Which is one of my favorite Westerns of all-time.

Robin, that green guy is Super Skrull's weak-@$$ robot who very nearly punched his ticket.

Re: Blaze of Glory--I wholeheartedly agree! Amazing mini about characters that no one were supposed to care about, surprised everyone with its excellence and causing Marvel to backtrack on. Now another parallel Earth despite the fact that all of the Wild West heroes should be dead, Marvel still wants to able to use them!

Marvel Team-Up #146

October 1984

Cover art by: Greg LaRocque & Joe Rubenstein

Story: Hero Worship!

Writer: Cary Burkett

Pencils: Greg LaRocque

Inks: Mike Esposito

Before we begin, I should state from the beginning I love this comic. Marvel Team-Up is one of my all-time favorite series. Nomad is one of my favorite characters (who I think is still actually dead), and I always loved the black Spidey suit. The one in here is still the symbiote version. Also, Taskmaster is one of the villains I always dug as well.

Here we have Peter Parker walking down an alley when he is about to be mugged by a gang. Jack Monroe (Nomad for all of you not in the know) walks in on the crime, and the two of them take out the gang in their civilian IDs. The pair begin talking and decide to go watch Rio Bravo at a local cinema. It is one of Jack's favorites and Peter has never seen it before. After the flick, a kid who wants to join the gang steals the package that Monroe is carrying, Steve Rogers' Captain America art. The pair agree to split up to get that art back. This, of course, allows them to switch into their respective costumes. Spidey admits it might be a bit of overkill to get into costume to chase down a little kid.

Spider-man spots the kid first and unleashes a webline at him, just as Nomad makes the scene. The webbing hits Nomad. Spidey is a bit peeved, but understands Nomad was just trying to help. Nomad is a little embarrassed and was hoping his first team-up with the Wall Crawler would have gone better. During all of the introductions and talking the boy escapes, unnoticed.

The kid runs to a large meeting of a bunch of different street gangs. Taskmaster has called them together to train and organize them for another, the Black Abbot. The kid runs in there and the leader he is trying to impress is really ticked that he has led some super types to the meeting. Taskmaster tells everyone to hide, and not to worry, it's cool. He can show them their first lesson in combat tactics. Which he does, by eventually felling Spider-man with a combo of a sonic and gas arrow. When Nomad shows up he knocks him out with a toss of his shield. Pretty impressive.

With the heroes unconscious Black Abbot moves forward, as one hoodlum tells him he didn't sign on to fight superheroes. Black Abbot touches his face with his hand and disintegrates him. He then begins to make his way over to Spider-man, just as he is about to kill Spidey, the awakened Nomad throws Taskmaster's shield. The highly reflective shield not only blocks but partially send back the Abbot's energy to him, disintegrating his hand. Now that the heroes have recovered the hoodlums split. Taskmaster as well, figuring he has already been paid, and no sense in sticking around.

Nomad and Spider-man rescue the kid who stole the art from a now burning building. He now wants to be like Nomad, and is going to practice his shield tossing skills from here on out.

The art here by LaRocque and Esposito is competent. I loved LaRocque when he worked on Legion of Superheroes, but here it is just okay. The faces he used for Peter and Jack was exactly the same though. It was eerie actually how a like he drew them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service