Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 82979

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Holy Confusing Road-Signs, Läderlappen! We completely missed the November "motorcycle" theme!

Quite often, when a cover is translated, text on the cover is deleted rather than being translated into the relevant language.  Here's a cover where text has been added instead.  As a bonus, it's also Christmassy.

The 1997 Swedish edition.   "God Jul" means "Merry Christmas".  Google translate says that "Vinn Grymma Spawn-paylar" means "Win cruel Spawn-paylar", or possibly "Win awesome Spawn-paylar".  It apparently doesn't know what "paylar" means.

The 1995 original.  Note the absence of text.

Avengers #7, from Mexico

Peter Wrexham said:

The 1997 Swedish edition.   "God Jul" means "Merry Christmas".  Google translate says that "Vinn Grymma Spawn-paylar" means "Win cruel Spawn-paylar", or possibly "Win awesome Spawn-paylar".  It apparently doesn't know what "paylar" means.

...and the reason it doesn't know what that word means is because I misread it.  The cover actually says "Vinn Grymma Spawn-prylar", which means "Win awesome Spawn gadgets".

I'm not certain what "paylar" is, but I understand it often gets served with hot covfefe.



Peter Wrexham said:

Peter Wrexham said:

The 1997 Swedish edition.   "God Jul" means "Merry Christmas".  Google translate says that "Vinn Grymma Spawn-paylar" means "Win cruel Spawn-paylar", or possibly "Win awesome Spawn-paylar".  It apparently doesn't know what "paylar" means.

...and the reason it doesn't know what that word means is because I misread it.  The cover actually says "Vinn Grymma Spawn-prylar", which means "Win awesome Spawn gadgets".

I believe this is from Mexico too.

While it's not a seasonal cover, Iceland is a pretty chill country.

Peter Wrexham said:

Quite often, when a cover is translated, text on the cover is deleted rather than being translated into the relevant language.

Here's a Christmassy example.  No speech bubbles on the French version from 1959.

The 1957 original, complete with a (somewhat superfluous) speech bubble.

Iconic cover. The German version of The Avengers.

From Mexico, their reprint of Blackhawk #117. Yet another Mr Freeze. I just noticed that the blurb at the top of the original version makes it sound like Mr Freeze is giving out ice cream coupons.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service