Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 82951

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

♪ "To save us all from Setan's power..."♪ ♫

This Indonesian unlicensed Batman comic also rips off the Gold Key symbol.

JD DeLuzio said:

♪ "To save us all from Setan's power..."♪ ♫

This Indonesian unlicensed Batman comic also rips off the Gold Key symbol.

That's a bit...different... from the 1968 original it's ripping off!

Popeye is a super-hero, right?  Here's an Italian Christmas cover from December 1969, featuring Braccio di Ferro (Popeye) and Pisellino (Swee'Pea).

Some would say Popeye is the first superhero.

Peter Wrexham said:

Popeye is a super-hero, right?  Here's an Italian Christmas cover from December 1969, featuring Braccio di Ferro (Popeye) and Pisellino (Swee'Pea).

Der Geier und Aquarius.

...and the original (sans "Aquarius").

In Hispanic (which I'm sure is just another way of saying in Spanish) The Amazing Spider Man is El Sorprendente Hombre Arana. I never saw this cover before - was this from a legitimate US Spidey cover?

Arf, arf!

(I could not find a non-English edition)

ClarkKent_DC said:

Some would say Popeye is the first superhero.

Peter Wrexham said:

"I never saw this cover before - was this from a legitimate US Spidey cover?"

I can't see the imnage you posted.

I don't know why Jeff can't see the cover image (of El Sorprendente Hombre Arana #123) that Steve posted.  It's been uploaded to ning here (the URL is "https://st5.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3762709417?profile=original" if clicking on that link doesn't work), and I can see it with no problems.

Note: sometimes the first part of that URL is "st5.ning.com", sometimes it's "storage.ning.com" - I've no idea why it changes, or what the difference is!

Steve asked "was this from a legitimate US Spidey cover?".  The GCD entry for this issue (here) says that the story was written by Raúl Martinez and illustrated by José Luis Durán.  The only entry for either of those names in the GCD is for this story.  Put that together with the fact that the villain is called "Hombre de Hierro", which means "Iron Man", and I'd guess that the story doesn't come from a US comic, but was written and illustrated specifically for this issue by local creators.  Incidentally, the series is produced by a Mexican publisher, Editora de Periódicos La Prensa S.C.L.

That's the same company that published most of the Marvel Mexico reprints. Didn't know they did original stories.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service