Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 86257

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can see these covers.

Dave Palmer said:

Let's try this.  If it works maybe I'll be able to come back and repost the rest.

I like Peter's suggestions.

Peter Wrexham said:

I'd prefer the lines to be drawn a bit more narrowly than that, or otherwise wouldn't every romance comic cover be eligible?  Perhaps say that there should at least be a hint of Cupid or Valentine's Day to be seen.  For example, covers might feature characters with gifts of boxes of chocolates or bunches of flowers, even if they're not explicitly Valentine's Day gifts.  Or we might see characters with clouds of red hearts (not on playing cards!) floating around them to demonstrate love, even if Cupid himself isn't visibly present.

Peter, I like your suggestions too.  Let's go with this as a set of rules for the month.

Dave, I think that you should be able to delete your own posts.  When you're logged in, you should see a little "X" at the top right of anything you've posted (see below).  As I understand it, that allows you to delete the post.  Full disclosure, though: I've never actually tried this myself!

Dave Palmer said:

Oh. no.  I'll see if I can correct that --maybe later; looks like even this approach isn't working for me.  Would one of the moderator please remove my posts --no sense taking up space.  Thanks.

Peter,

Thank you.  That seemed to have worked.  That got rid of some of the clutter I created.

Peter Wrexham said:

Dave, I think that you should be able to delete your own posts.  When you're logged in, you should see a little "X" at the top right of anything you've posted (see below).  As I understand it, that allows you to delete the post.  Full disclosure, though: I've never actually tried this myself!

Dave Palmer said:

Oh. no.  I'll see if I can correct that --maybe later; looks like even this approach isn't working for me.  Would one of the moderator please remove my posts --no sense taking up space.  Thanks.

Sounds good to me as well.  I hope I get my computer issues corrected soon, but I'll start looking for some appropriate covers

Steve W said:

I like Peter's suggestions.

Peter Wrexham said:

I'd prefer the lines to be drawn a bit more narrowly than that, or otherwise wouldn't every romance comic cover be eligible?  Perhaps say that there should at least be a hint of Cupid or Valentine's Day to be seen.  For example, covers might feature characters with gifts of boxes of chocolates or bunches of flowers, even if they're not explicitly Valentine's Day gifts.  Or we might see characters with clouds of red hearts (not on playing cards!) floating around them to demonstrate love, even if Cupid himself isn't visibly present.

Peter, I like your suggestions too.  Let's go with this as a set of rules for the month.

I've still got quite a stack of unposted covers.  I'm not going to get through all of them (no need for six more Tarot covers from either Fashion Beast or Madame Xanadu, or the six remaining "Dead Man's Hand" covers from the Daredevil/Nomad/Punisher crossover series, for example).

But here are a few that I'd regret not sharing.

Yet another simian playing cards!

I never thought of The Spectre as being a card-player.

It seems that the players on this cover are clones (Dutch "klonen").

Finally, what seems a much calmer and more restful game of cards.

While I have a connection that works I'm going to post what I still have in my files.  I hope I don't post that one cover that someone was saving for the last day of the month.

That's some humorous covers

Here's one last set.  This one with a different game.

One cards and one ping pong from Micky Maus

And a hint of next month:

Last day of the month - here's a Scooby cover...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service