Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 86375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JD DeLuzio said:

Harley covers often feature the card motif somewhere:

Here's a variant cover for the same issue that you posted.

From certain images in the background, I'm guessing that we're being subliminally warned to expect a screwball comedy.

Ok, so this isn't really a comic cover - it's a tribute (with the speech bubble created by me) to Black Sabbath's debut eponymous album, which was released exactly 50 years ago on this very day.  This album single-handedly created the genre "heavy metal".             And it's a little bit romantic too...

Variant covers? You don't say!



Peter Wrexham said:

JD DeLuzio said:

Harley covers often feature the card motif somewhere:

Here's a variant cover for the same issue that you posted.

From certain images in the background, I'm guessing that we're being subliminally warned to expect a screwball comedy.

Talking of romance and Charlie Brown...

Here's another Harley

Some of you will be familiar with this little magazine, which including cartoon segments and covers. Will Eisner constributed at one point.

Will Eisner illustrated the whole thing for many years.

JD DeLuzio said:

Some of you will be familiar with this little magazine, which including cartoon segments and covers. Will Eisner constributed at one point.

I see that this particular issue's cover was illustrated by Murphy Anderson!
Richard Willis said:

Will Eisner illustrated the whole thing for many years.
JD DeLuzio said:

Some of you will be familiar with this little magazine, which including cartoon segments and covers. Will Eisner constributed at one point.

Here's a Cupid who uses an arrow that looks a lot less dangerous than some we've seen.

A truly iconic romantic couple, posted in honour of Valentine's Day itself.

Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article on Will Eisner"

"Eisner then created the educational comic strip and titular character Joe Dope for Army Motors, and spent four years working in The Pentagon editing the ordnance magazine Firepower and doing "all the general illustrations – that is, cartoons" for Army Motors. He continued to work on that and its 1950 successor magazine, PS, The Preventive Maintenance Monthly until 1971"

I have two or three from 1969 that I "liberated" while I was in the Army. Others took it over after 1971. I don't remember Murphy Anderson being mentioned before.

Peter Wrexham said:

I see that this particular issue's cover was illustrated by Murphy Anderson.
Richard Willis said:

Will Eisner illustrated the whole thing for many years.
JD DeLuzio said:

Some of you will be familiar with this little magazine, which including cartoon segments and covers. Will Eisner constributed at one point.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service