Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 94786

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I never read the Buffy comics (save for a couple of the reboot ones) so I don't know where we are in the Buffy/Spike relationship here. Spike remains one of the best-known examples of a villain who starts cooperating with the heroes before becoming something of a hero himself:

Captain Atom cradling his enemy, Plastique, and a second cover flipping the concept.

Here we see Justice League Europe and the Injustice League taking French language classes together!  Coincidentally, the IL includes Multi-Man (barely visible on the right of this cover), who also featured on the Challengers cover I posted yesterday.

He started as a villain, but eventually joined the Avengers—even graduating to vaunted “floating head on the cover” status: Wonder Man

The Legion teaming up with Tharok, leader of the Fatal Five, and Blok, one of the League of Super-Assassins. Both are described as their "deadliest enemies" but the very next issue has the Mighty Mountain join the team! 

I like the sound of flags in July.  I've just done a brief cover-flick-through, and that would definitely be a good choice for me. Obviously we're presumably not just limited to the US flag; I found a number of covers with British or other flags on.  Maybe something vacation themed in August (although the way things are going, the only vacation we'll be taking in August will be on our laptops in front of this website).

Over to you guys.

In the meantime, I think that WF 173 is an example of heroes and villains co-operating. Or is it? Has Batman become Two-Face and has Supes become Kralik? Or are they still the original people but with new personalities?  You decide.

I still don't know who Kralik is!

And this was the closest we got to Two-Face in the Silver Age, in a new story anyway!

It sounds like Kralik was created for this one story. From what I can tell, his being a great enemy was something Superman invented for the story. Usually his being a fake enemy would be a major story point, but maybe this aspect got lost.  

In the world of The Beano, all children (apart from a few swots, softies and teacher's pets) hate going to school, and incessantly mock and prank their teachers.  Minnie the Minx and Mrs Creecher sitting down to tea together seems to fit the theme of the month, but the crate of stink bombs visible behind Minnie suggests that this will not end well.

Baron Tibor appeared in the first issue of Doctor Spektor, and immediately turned after his centuries as a bloodthirsty vampire. He made a couple of subsequent appearances as an ally of the Doctor's.

This cover doesn't really fit the theme; I just like it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service