Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138098

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"The Avenging Son, Prince of Atlantis will not allow himself to be trapped in a Roger Corman film! Imperious Rex!"

sotto voce "Sufferin' Shad, this place is spooky! Winged feet, don't fail me now!"

So many spooky, moonlit graveyards!

I never realised before this that Jim Rook (a.k.a. Nightmaster - the guy in the red cape, below) appeared again after his debut in Showcase, which I posted a few days ago.  Well, apart from in Showcase #100, which included everyone who had ever featured in the series!

There have been many heroes (with moons in the background) posted this month, but I don't think anyone's yet mentioned Doctor Graves.

I hate to break it to you, Peter  but even though Nightmaster was listed as being in Showcase #100, he wasn't visible or recognizable in the panel he was supposed to be in unlike, say, Fireman Farrell, Binky, Jason's Quest and Windy & Willy!

Peter Wrexham said:

So many spooky, moonlit graveyards!

I never realised before this that Jim Rook (a.k.a. Nightmaster - the guy in the red cape, below) appeared again after his debut in Showcase, which I posted a few days ago.  Well, apart from in Showcase #100, which included everyone who had ever featured in the series!

You've inspired me to dig out my copy of Showcase #100, Philip, and take a look for Nightmaster's appearance.  The text page says he appears on page 8, so I think this must be him.  He's just a face in the crowd, he's not in costume, and he takes no further part in the adventure.

At that time DC clearly weren't expecting ever to use him again!

Here's another Dr Graves

Let’s see how we did during the first half of the month (6/1-6/15: I stopped counting just before Space Adventures #20 on page 818).

Superhero:  72 covers (includes 2 with Streak the Wonder Dog, I also stuck The Spirit and Dick Tracy here)

Humor: 26 (I included both Sabrina covers)

Horror:  23 (includes series, e.g., Swamp Thing; includes Haunted Love)

Science Fiction: 12 (includes Space Western and Strange Adventures with “Destination Moon”)

Romance:  6

Mad & Yak Yak:  4

Manga: 4

Tarzan:  3

Movie:  2

Tintin/Spoutnik:  2

Drama: 2 (Hunter’s Moon, Strangers in Paradise)

History: 2 (Apollo 11 & Robin Hood)

HG Wells: 2

War: 1

Western:  1

Which always struck me as strange as DC really promoted his Showcase debut!

And if you say that's him, okay but I wouldn't list it as an appearance!

Peter Wrexham said:

You've inspired me to dig out my copy of Showcase #100, Philip, and take a look for Nightmaster's appearance.  The text page says he appears on page 8, so I think this must be him.  He's just a face in the crowd, he's not in costume, and he takes no further part in the adventure.

At that time DC clearly weren't expecting ever to use him again!

According to a list in the letter page he’s there somewhere on page 8.  I don’t have access to my copy right now so I can’t look.

Dave Palmer said:

Let’s see how we did during the first half of the month (6/1-6/15: I stopped counting just before Space Adventures #20 on page 818).

Hmmm....

For the sake of “completeness,” here is the rest of what DC had to say about who was in Showcase #100.

Some of Archie Comics recent genre jumping does present a bit of a classification problem.

JD DeLuzio said:

Dave Palmer said:

Hmmm....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service