Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 105243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank Goodness they couldn't do something like that with an actual color-themed character like ... I dunno ... Green Lantern?

It’s interesting how often the same story idea crops up between Jack Schiff’s Batman titles and Blackhawk (this one from 1958).

Some more

Actually this one cropped up three times

Bah! There's only one true Cat-man! And his is the realm of awkward movement, wrinkly clothing, and a sidekitten who gets captured far too often.

Also, where does this take place? Has the Rajah built his secret lair in a Penny Arcade?

Dave Palmer said:

It’s interesting how often the same story idea crops up between Jack Schiff’s Batman titles and Blackhawk (this one from 1958).

Some more

“Great audition, Mr. Sack, but we already have a cute little devil character.”

Steve W said:

And what about December?

...but this is a democracy, so maybe a vote?

What about November?

Yes, let's all VOTE!

Not only did Blackhawk's "Cat-Man" steal the name of a Golden Age hero but he stole his costume from the Golden Age Sandman (with a little from Wildcat) AND the MLJ/Archie Black Hood!

Three interesting covers from the early days of World's Finest

Now here's an amazing display of synchronised swimming!  Surely those fish can't all have snared a weapon at the exact same moment?

Also, "The Aquaman from Atlantis"?  We already knew he was half-Atlantean, didn't we?

From Cover Browser

There's a fine line between "expression of brute strength" and "idiotic stare." The artist crossed it here."

Ok, what sort of Japanese army is so slow at running, that a 2mph steamroller manages to run them down...

"The most unexpected barbarian of all!!"? Well, that's true enough, I suppose. (I mean, who expected Kronak?) But it wasn't the barbarian I'll bet Marvel hoped we were expecting.

Another Catman, who it seems borrowed Spy Smasher’s costume

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service