Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 114547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Clark v Supes v2.0

Those two really ought to consider couples therapy ...

Lee Houston, Junior said:

(Image courtesy of the Grand Comics Database)

I seldom say so, but 95%+ of my covers are from GCD.

Re the splash of "The Menace of the Mega-Men!", images of the original art can be found online. The interesting thing is Kirby meant Crystal to be the woman in the background and Sue the woman on the right, but Lee wrote notes directing Crystal be changed to Sue and Sue to Alicia, and indicating there would be dialogue establishing the statue as one of Alicia's. I take it the changes never happened since Lee decided to delay using the story instead. He didn't used that page when Fantastic Four #108 was done.

Richard, et al.

The copyrights are obvious, but I'm trying to be honest and give credit where credit is due. After all, I'm working from memory here and it would take forever to search for what I've posted so far out of my personal collection (the boxes are just packed in the order I finished reading them long ago) and scan everything.

More Supergirl-Supergirl:

(That's the Chameleon Cap is fighting.)

What could possibly be more fun than a sky full of Jimmys

or a whole planet of Jimmys

Dave Palmer said:

What could possibly be more fun than a sky full of Jimmys

Well, Silver Age Kal, you super-moron, in the time it took you to float there with your mouth gaping open and say, "Great Krypton! I must decide in one second which Jimmy is real, or my best friend will die!" you could have rescued them all and made each one a smoked chicken and avocado on rye with Grey Poupon. Why are your jimmies rustled?

Plastic Man seems to have encountered his doppelgänger (or, according to these covers, his twin) a couple of times.

In the Quality Comics series, in 1950:

In the DC series, in 1968:

Let's go for some multiple Superboys!

Hey, Peter, there's another double Plas cover I know of but I'm saving it for you!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service