Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 118542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let’s end with some more drive-in theater covers

Little Audrey and a cat on the screen.

One of the reasons for picking this month to use the "Movies" theme is that the Academy Awards are normally awarded in February, honouring films released in the preceding calendar year.  In 2021, however, the ceremony will take place on 25th April, two months later than normal, and eligible films will be those released between 1st January 2020 and today, 28th February 2021.  So here's a cover that references the Oscars.

Dave Palmer said:

Let’s end with some more drive-in theater covers

And one more, but a little different.

I see that Steve likes the suggestion of "Big Guns" as the theme for May.  Anyone else?

Sorry, I've just got to post one more cover before the month ends.  I really can't resist this one.

To bridge February and March's themes, there's That Darn Cat!

Regarding the Tom Sawyer musical, it was probably on TV after its theatrical release. IMDB says it premiered in New York City on 14 March 1973, followed immediately by a national released, then a staggered release in many countries. The UK release date was 19 April 1973. The Canada release date isn't specified. They do say it was released theatrically, so I suspect that the USA release date may have actually been a North American release date,

Similar to the radioactive spider bite, IMO musicals require a suspension of disbelief. I think of it as the character's internal monologue.

My last February covers are Bible-inspired, in order of their inspiration.

I'm not sure about big guns for May. There certainly are a lot of covers with characters holding over-sized guns, but I'm not sure there are enough to have a robust month of cposts. Maybe it could included cannons?

Okay. For those interested, the cat on Dave Palmer's Little Audrey cover is Catnip of Herman and Catnip.

And as for doing a little month bridging myself...

MGM didn't always have movie themed covers on their property based comic books, but they did subtly remind readers that their characters could be seen in theaters.

Last few from me.

I'd be happy to include covers with cannons together with 'big guns' for May.

And I have to finish with this one.  I know I see this cover everytime I log on to this webpage, but I love this cover and any old chance to post it is fine for me. 'Candid Camera' was not a movie, but they were certainly committing moving pictures to celluloid on this cover so it seems appropriate.

That Darn Cat was my original choice for today's cover, but Richard Willis posted it awhile back. Still, it's a good darn cover, and we've not had too many reposts this month. Napoleon and Samantha was the replacement, but I think this cat/dog cover hasn't been seen this month.

Philip Portelli said:

To bridge February and March's themes, there's That Darn Cat!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service