Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138040

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read Nexus more-or-less from the beginning, but somewhat after-the-fact. I started with the Capital color series, then picked up the three b&w issues as soon as I found them. This is the issue that was new on the stands when I read the first 18.

The first appearance of the Trickster, unnamed on the cover. James Jesse was inspired to become a criminal because his name was a flipped version of Jesse James. He also happened to be an inventive genius. In the original Flash TV show* he was portrayed as insane and a knockoff of the Joker. He was played by Mark Hamill, who had voiced the Joker in Batman The Animated Series. 

* I didn't get to see the series ending "Trial of the Trickster" for many years because the station had an oh-so-important news bulletin about some forgettable thing. 

Steve W said:

Peter, I had that 'Composite Superman' down as one of my favourites, so your tastes definitely coincide with mine.

Thank you, Steve, I always knew that you were a gentleman of rare taste and distinction!

Jim Shooter's two-parter in Adventure #346 & #347 (written when he was 14 years old!) introduced four new Legionnaires, and made me an instant fan.  The next few issues were also great, but the series really went into overdrive with another two-parter in #352 and #353, in which Shooter introduced five new villains, and killed a Legionnaire.  To my mind, one of the very best super-hero tales ever told.

Frank Miller has been underrepresented here. 

A couple of Superman comics I remember from ads. I wanted to know what was going on.  I don’t think I ever had them as a kid.

Why would it mean the end of his career?

Anyway:

He turned into a dragon and it's still important to note that the dragon is wearing a cape?

Dave Palmer said:

JD posted my "9-11" tribute cover, so I'll post this one:

"That Old Piece of Cloth" by Frank Miller (September 11, 2006)

I remember this description of firefighters from 9/11:  “They rush in, while others rush out.”

My favorite of Steranko's Captain America covers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service