Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138498

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sticking with purple, here are three wonderful covers by Don Newton featuring the Phantom.

This is my first Phantom, purchased in a three-pack alongside Flash Gordon (posted above) and Mandrake the Magician. At this stage in my collection, I liked comic books of which I had costumes for my "Captain Action" doll.

One of my favorite "Anniversary/Milestone" issues! 

Not perfect but definitely a great read!

Love the Phantom covers!  first cartoon character I ever read.  Thanks for the birthday wishes.  Someone mentioned Ditko earlier. Here's my favourite Ditko cover. Done to death I know, but still resplendent.

This happens to be a purple cover, but it's a favorite because of the storyline. The fate of Silvermane was mind-blowing and should have been final.

Oops!    I've just noticed that the cover of Showcase #82 (the first appearance of Nightmaster) was included in my Saturday post.  This was (obviously, I hope) meant to be the cover of Showcase #100, but I somehow messed up, and uploaded the same image on two successive days.  Here's what that Saturday post should have looked like.  My apologies for the repetition!

...apart from a few tiny cameo appearances, [Nightmaster] vanished for a quarter of a century

One of the "tiny cameo appearances" was in Showcase #100.  This features (almost?) every character to have appeared in the first 99 issues.  The story by Pauls Kupperberg and Levitz was great fun, and Joe Staton pulled out all the stops on the art

...and it's purple!

What do you suppose Silvermane was called in his youth? ("Mr. Manfredi," probably)

Richard Willis said:

This happens to be a purple cover, but it's a favorite because of the storyline. The fate of Silvermane was mind-blowing and should have been final.

"Brownmane"? "Chestnutmane"? 

And when he was middle-aged, "Salt 'n' Pepper-mane"!

Captain Comics said:

What do you suppose Silvermane was called in his youth? ("Mr. Manfredi," probably)

Richard Willis said:

Autumn falls today, so I went with a (comparatively) recent, laid-back sort of cover for a highly entertaining YA graphic novel:

Here's another one I first saw in a house ad but didn't actually acquire until decades later. the story itself was, typically, disappointing.

And here's a "two-fer"...

Three purple covers from ACG

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service