Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 143681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This cover also has a take-off on the X-Men (The Egg's Men: The Ape/Beast, Icarus/Angel, Winter Wonderland/Iceman)

Dave Palmer said:

The Freedom Brigade appeared in Showcase #65

Three Hourmen for the price of one.

The Flash and Mr. Terrific team up in National Comics.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"My question is: was this issue ever resolved?"

It sure was. The LSH of Earth 2 was one of the Legion of 3 Worlds.

Actually, that answer is incorrect. (I can never keep this straight.) The Legions from Legion of 3 Worlds were, in fact, from Earth 1 (pre-Crisis), Earth 247 (post-Zero-Hour) and Earth Prime (Mark Waid). What threw me, I think, was Justice Society of America #22, which depicts the Superman of Earth 22 surviving through the decades, then centuries, until he reaches the 31st.

In addition, there are a few other Legions (by my count) which remain unaccounted for. 

Perhaps I'll start a thread. 

The Legion does exist in Earth-22's future (I think). They're seen in Kingdom Come but only as a means to explain why Superboy and Supergirl are not in Kingdom Come!

If DC did not reprint this Doctor Fate story in Wanted #8, most readers might not have known that Fate ever wore a half-helmet (I sure didn't)!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I'm not familiar with JSA: Strange Adventures, but it looks like an interesting series."

I've been debating with myself whether or not to post covers from the Strange Adventures mini-series. Personally, I didn't care for it, but I can't pinpoint exactly why, exactly. Too atypical, I guess.

The fact that the series includes appearances of real-world SF legends Jack Williamson and Hugo Gernsback rather caught my fancy, and I do like John Watson's painted covers.  So here's issue #2, with Johnny Thunder and the Thunderbolt apparently facing off against flying Nazi Stormtroopers.

Ah, the possibilities

"The fact that the series includes appearances of real-world SF legends Jack Williamson and Hugo Gernsback rather caught my fancy, and I do like John Watson's painted covers."

Perhaps I'll give it another look. Sometimes, projects such as this read better in a "satisfying chunk."

"The Golden Age of Heroism" begins and ends with the JSA (and, speaking of "generational" heroes, check out who penciled and inked the covers). 

Belated follow-up to my earlier post (I've been at an out-of-town wedding. I'll return to real covers tomorrow):

Since he never got a full length origin story in the Golden Age, Doctor Fate made up for it later! 

Not entirely JSA (obviously), but you can't have the "Golden Age" without at least some of 'em (not at DC, anyway). 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 4 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service