Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 94579

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A change of genre, but from the same year. Here's Desperado #1 from Lev Gleason Publications. I love the cover art, which is by the indomitable Charles Biro.

The father and mother look remarkably like Blondie and Dagwood Bumstead. I think they were trying to pull in their readers. The dog even looks like their dog.

Steve W said:

And from the same year, from Charlton Comics, Dottie Dripple #9. Cover art by Buford Tune. Who in their right mind calls a comic-book Dottie Dripple? Was there any pre-launch focus group that came up with this name?

Oh, I love that YouTube video, thanks Luke - I don't know why you assume everyone would hate it. The only DtM song I've ever heard is something along the lines of 'Dennis the Menace, he's a bundle of dynamite' - presumably something to do with the blond American kid who inspired Trump's hair. Our Dennis's enemy, Walter the Softy, could take that kid.

Luke Blanchard said:

Knowledge of Hank Ketcham's upcoming strip could've reached Britain before the strip appeared via the syndicate's marketing of it. But Wikipedia's page on the UK strip says the British character was inspired by a music hall song, which could be true. The song can be found at YouTube but you won't be able to stand it.

Another demon story, from Action Comics #324 (May 1965) by Curt Swan and George Klein.
Darn, still not getting images up, trying in Chrome. OK! Off to find this Dolphin thing!
Attachments:
One more go, apologies everyone!

Nope, dang you, Dolphin!
Attachments:

Just curious. Are you able to view the buttons at the top of the reply box?

Also... I noticed the two images you uploaded are png files. Have you tried posting jpg images?

I have no idea about jpegs and the like. Usually Apple devices just upload photos nicely.

Are you trying to post images that are on your ipad or are you posting them from a url?

Let's see if we can pinpoint where you are getting hung up.

Does your reply box have these buttons?

Dectective Comics #387: One of the earliest books I had as a kid. I don't remember where I got it but it was Batman's 30th Anniversary and it retold "The Case of the Chemical Syndicate" with a "modern" flair!

As a bonus, it also reprinted the original from Dectective #27 which was the first time I ever saw it!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service