Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 100533

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for bearing with me, from an image in my photo albums, copied from GCD. And I don't see those buttons. I'll try to find a browser that shows 'em!

Detective 445 said:

Are you trying to post images that are on your ipad or are you posting them from a url?

Martin Gray said:

Thanks for bearing with me, from an image in my photo albums, copied from GCD. And I don't see those buttons. I'll try to find a browser that shows 'em!

Detective 445 said:

Are you trying to post images that are on your ipad or are you posting them from a url?

I think I may have a solution for you. Open the Dolphin browser and look in the settings. There is a switch that says desktop mode. Try sliding that to the on position and then see if the buttons show up for you. You may need to refresh the screen a couple times.

I have an Android phone and couldn't figure out how upload images on it either. I usually do all of my posting from my laptop.

Showcase #55, featuring Doctor Fate and Hourman battling Solomon Grundy, by the great Murphy Anderson. This was Grundy's first Silver Age appearance and the first time I saw him.

Detective 445 - You BEAUTY! It looks hopeful...

DC Special #1 "The Daring & the Different!" Featuring the artwork of Infantino.

Another great Kirby-drawn Doctor Strange cover - "The Defeat of Dr Strange!" Strange Tales #183, 1975. As I recall this was a redrawing of a cover from ST #130.

Science Fiction Space Adventures #10, Spring 1954. What's the connection with the letter "D" I hear you say. Well this, of course, is a STEVE DITKO cover.

From 1944, DYNAMIC COMICS #9, featuring Dynamic Man! Cover art by Mac Raboy 

Why have one D when you can have three? Jack Kirby and Jon Verpoorten bring the action in 1977. 

Well, half of it. But the other half of the cover was much groovier!

Steve W said:

Another great Kirby-drawn Doctor Strange cover - "The Defeat of Dr Strange!" Strange Tales #183, 1975. As I recall this was a redrawing of a cover from ST #130.

Where was Mordo baron of, anyhow?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service