Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 8971

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not to mention Easy Reader!

Dave Palmer said:

Spidey Super Stories #1 (1974).  Spider-Man and The Electric Company.

Great cover. Never seen that one before.

A couple of Eerie's from me today. The first is Eerie #9 from Avon, published in Oct 1952. Cover art Sid Check.

The second is Eerie #81 from Feb 1977, published by Warren. Cover art by Frank Frazetta.

I remember the cover, but had forgotten she was holding a gorilla in her hand!

I was tardy joining the March discussion. Consequently, many of the exact covers I had planned to post (Thor #133, Fantastic Four #81, etc.) as well as some of the titles (E-Man, Eternals) have already been posted. Even though two E-Man covers have already been posted, I’m going to post a third.

I clearly remember buying that first issue off the shelf. It was on the day of a dentist appointment. If I behaved, my mom would buy me a comic book. On the day of this particular check-up I chose #1 and I loved it. I didn’t see an issue again until #4, which I bought, but that was the last time I saw an issue on the stands.

By high school I picked up the rest of the series as backissues in one swell foop. When I was in college, First Comics reprinted the entire series on mando paper stock. E-Man is a series I re-read every couple of years. The character has been published by many different publishers over the years, but it is the original Charlton run I like best.

Below is the cover to the only issue other than the first I bought I bought when it was new.

The first appearance of the Enforcers. I know they weren't that great but this was only my second Spider-Man comic.

I decide to post Eternals as my "Kirby cover" for March after all. No one has yet posted this particular cover.

Espionage #1.

Another version of the Unknown Soldier???

Dave Palmer said:

Espionage #1.

I hadn't heard of Espionage. The premise looks good and like to read it, but 60s Dell and Gold Key issues can let one down.

I think there was more imitation of what other publishers were doing in the era than we realise: the Sea Devils were preceded by Dell comics based on Sea Hunt, ACG's Magic Agent had an eyepatch before the modern-day Fury. So it's quite possible this comic influenced DC's hero. On the other hand, masters of disguise are common in fiction: Sherlock Holmes, the Shadow, Marvel's villain the Chameleon. 

There was a long-running pulp called G-8 and His Battle Aces about a WWI aviator hero who went on undercover spy missions in disguise. Gold Key did a one-shot starring him in 1966. Dennis Wheatley wrote novels about a WWII spy hero called Gregory Sallust. He wasn't a master of disguise, but his method was to pose as a German officer. The hero of Dell's Werewolf (3 issues, 1966-67) was a modern-day spy with super-disguise abilities. On TV master of disguise characters were included in the cast of Mission: Impossible (1966-73).

DC editor Martin Nadle planned a master of disguise spy feature called "Yankee Doodle Dandy" for Showcase #50 which didn't appear because of his death. The prepared cover indicates he was going to be a modern-day spy. The cover was dated for Jun. 1964. The GCD says the sole issue of Espionage was dated for May-July 1964.

The cover has an NBC copyright notice at the bottom. Apparently it a tie-in to this TV show.

Dave Palmer said:

Espionage #1.

Rats! I didn't think anyone else would find this one.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service