Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 10708

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Different Fangs, different Fox. One might say Kirby was using "alternative fox."

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Dodo and the Frog #80

Dell gave us quite a number of covers starting with'F'. From Sept/Nov 1958 here's Fritzi Ritz #59. The distinct cover is by Ernie Bushmiller.

And from the publisher who published "Fantastic Worlds" above, here's issue number 1 of Firehair Comics. Cover art by Bob Lubbers.

From Fox, here's The Flame #8, Jan 1942. Cover by Arthur Cazeneuve. This was the final issue of this particular title.

Steve W said:

Dell gave us quite a number of covers starting with'F'. From Sept/Nov 1958 here's Fritzi Ritz #59. The distinct cover is by Ernie Bushmiller.

Like several other newspaper comics characters, Fritzi Ritz became a supporting character in her own strip when her niece Nancy became popular.

...Did the Fritzi title use just strip reprints ? I've seen it said it " reused strip material from before Nancy took over "/possibly Fritzi-centric material even from after that ? Or at least some newly drawn material ? This is a good question in general for the copious amount of Atomic Age-ey comic book offshoot versions of , especially humor , newspaper , strips - How much , if any , straight reprinting did they do and how much otherwise ?

I can't speak to Fritzi. My recollection is John Stanley did Nancy and Sluggo stories.

Sometimes the star-switches were creator-driven. Mike Nomad was introduced into Steve Roper because William Overgard couldn't sell his Mike Nomad strip.

Frogmen #7

Make that "The Fifth and Final Sleeper!"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service