Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 17075

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bought these two pre-Doom Patrol issues of My Greatest Adventure off the rack.

Gunsmoke #4, October 1949, publisher Youthful Magazines, cover art by Graham Ingels.

G.I. WAR BRIDES #1, publisher Superior Comics, cover art - not credited (on CB Plus).

Before Marvel's version, there was the original GHOST RIDER, published by Magazine Enterprises. The original series ran for 11 issues in 1951. GR #7 was drawn by Dick Ayers.

From Ajax-Farrell came G.I. IN BATTLE! This is issue 4, from 1958. These comics focussed on the Korean War, rather than WW2.

A triple...

Beating both Man-Thing and Swamp Thing in the Bronze Age was the Glob!

Steve W said:

Before Marvel's version, there was the original GHOST RIDER, published by Magazine Enterprises. The original series ran for 11 issues in 1951. GR #7 was drawn by Dick Ayers.

His feature started in Tim Holt/Red Mask and also appeared there. He also appeared in Best of the West. Ayers pencilled all the stories, but not all his title's covers, as Frank Frazetta did a few.

Marvel filched the character for a 1967 series and also used its version of the character in Western Gunfighters #1-#7 in 1970-71. These stories were also drawn by Ayers. Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze was introduced in 1972. During the Western Gunfighters series Marvel's first version of the character (who had a different secret ID to the original) was killed and replaced by his brother.

...and was in turn beaten by the Man-Thing.

Green Lantern #59, first appearance of Guy Gardner

This cover inspired me to get my hair cut like this. (That cover dialogue really flows, from one to he next.)

I almost included this one!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

...and was in turn beaten by the Man-Thing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service