Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 20687

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves. Ditko being Ditko.

I had always heard about the Galactic Golem, knew what he looked like and had stories that referenced him but never owned an actual comic that featured him.

Until Action Comics #502 (D'79), that is!

Then I read it! *sob*

There are lots of Ghost comics. Here's GRIMM'S GHOST STORIES from Gold Key.

AMAZING GHOST STORIES #16, 1955. Cover by Matt Baker.

Gotham Central #18

One of my faves from the '80s:

The G.I. Combat title started in October 1952, published by Quality. DC Comics acquired the rights to the Quality Comics characters and titles and they continued publishing the series starting with issue #44 (January 1957).  This title and Blackhawk were the only titles that DC continued to publish.

By the 1980's, war comics were achieving poor sales and DC published the last in the series (#288) in March 1987. Some famous artists drew for this title including Adams, Kubert, Kanigher and Grandenetti.

Gasp ran to four issues and was published by ACG between March and August 1967. Cover art for all 4 was by the late great Kurt Schaffenberger (more well known for his Lois Lane covers).

DC continued Robin Hood Tales for a year too, and a romance title called Heart Throbs.

I was really surprised by Ghosts #97 as the book never featured regular characters. It was always an anthology. And it took me thirty years to get #98-99!

But I think that the Ghostbreaker bit off more than he can chew!

This is the only issue of Ghosts I ever bought.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service