Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 18924

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hopalong Cassidy #134 (March-April 1959).

"Tick-Tock" Tyler (a.k.a the Hourman).

I don't think we've had this one yet.  House of Secrets #92, the first appearance of Swamp Thing.

Roy Thomas kept his retconning offspring trope with the introduction of Rick Tyler who became Hourman II and joined Infinity, Inc, got really sick, got better then joined the Justice Society and married Jesse Quick!

And Grant Morrison introduced the time-travelling android Hourman III in JLA who got his own title that was a fun read, especially with the addition of Snapper Carr!

(Oh, I had several LOCs in Hourman and now my name is listed in the Grand Comics Database!)

Yeah, I'm noted as having a letter in Strange Tales #134 (JUL65), in which I crabbed about the quality of the Torch/Thing stories, and was told things were changing. The next issue, SHIELD replaced the Torch/Thing stories.

Sonic the Hedgehog

If I've already posted this, I apologise. Here's HOT ROD & SPEEDWAY Comics #5 from April/May 1953. Publisher was Hillman. The cover art is uncredited but it certainly is impressive!

As long as we’re listing our laurels, I’ve named a LOC (Marvel Age #14) and also won a No-Prize (Defenders #131).

Here’s a title often (and unfairly) overlooked in discussion of early ‘70s muck monsters.

...and a later appearance...

A different Human Fly featuring Blue Beetle.

According to Wikipedia:

“I.W. Publications was a short-lived comic book publisher in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The company was part of I.W. Enterprises, and named for the company's owner, Israel Waldman. The later half of the company's existence, it published comics under the Super Comics name. Waldman would later be involved with the short-lived Skywald Publications in the 1970s.

“I.W. Publications were notable for publishing unauthorized reprints of other company's properties, especially Quality Comics.  Many of their titles had a Quality logo. Usually these companies were out of business, but not always. The company started publishing in 1958, and stopped in 1963/64.”

Hero Hotline is one of my favorite Post-Crisis books. I like the characters and the concept. It should be brought back!

Two more Harlequins...

Hogan's Heroes #5 (Ap'66).

Imagine if they made more comics about TV shows today?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service