Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 20991

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I loved the concept of Infinity, Inc., some of the characters not so much. It was a bit strange that all of the Justice Society members waited until the 1960s to have kids and that the first two marriages on Earth-Two that we knew of (the Flash & Joan and Doctor Fate & Inza) were left with no offspring!

And remember, Infinity, Inc. is just a serious version of the Inferior Five!

Philip,

Good point!  Infinity Inc. really is the Inferior Five down straight -- the second generation of superheroes.

One more "invisible" cover.  Walt Disney Comics Digest #37 (1972) featuring a 16 page text story based on the then recent movie "Now You See Him, Now You Don't."

"Now You See Him, Now You Don't" (1972) was the second of three Disney movies featuring Dexter (Kurt Russell) Riley and his fantastic antics (super intelligence, invisibility, super strength) at Medfield College. The other two were "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes," (1969), and "The Strongest Man in the World" (1975).

Hmmmm, Disney was certainly playing the long game.  A charismatic fellow played by Kurt Russell having super fantastic adventures on Earth during the 1970s era (hint, "Brandy" by Looking Glass came out in 1972).  Oh, those Marvel/Disney movies are more interconnected then we first thought.  The pieces are beginning to fall into place.

For what it's worth here are the three movies.

Right down to having two super-strong blonde "daughters" of Wonder Woman: Fury and Dumb Bunny!

Dave Palmer said:

Philip,

Good point!  Infinity Inc. really is the Inferior Five down straight -- the second generation of superheroes.

I've never seen the three Disney Kurt Russell movies. I will have to rectify that.

I was going to post that Infinity Inc cover but you beat me to it. Here's mine.

Here are a few panels I came across that give us the family trees of the Inferior Five.

And here is Merryman's grandfather, Yellowjacket.

The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964)

SPOILER ALERT

From Wikipedia:

"The story begins September 1941 just before the attack on Pearl harbor. Shy bookkeeper Henry Limpet loves fish with a passion. When his friend George Stickle enlists in the United States Navy, Limpet attempts to enlist as well, but is rejected. Feeling downcast, he wanders down to a pier near Coney Island and accidentally falls into the water. Inexplicably, he finds he has turned into a fish. Since he never resurfaces, his wife, Bessie, and George assume he hasdrowned.

"The fish Limpet, complete with his signaturepince-nez spectacles, discovers a new-found ability during some of his initial misadventures, a powerful underwater roar, his "thrum". He falls in love with a female fish he names Ladyfish, the concept of names being unknown to her, and makes friends with a misanthropic hermit crab named Crusty.

"Still determined to help the Navy, Limpet finds a convoy and requests to see George. With George's help, Limpet gets himself commissioned by the Navy, complete with advancing rank and a salary, which he sends to Bessie. He helps the Navy locate Nazi U-boats by signaling with his 'thrum', and plays a large part in the Allied victory in the Battle of the Atlantic. In his final mission, he is nearly killed when the Nazis develop a 'thrum' seeking torpedo, and is further handicapped by the loss of his spectacles. He manages to survive using Crusty as his 'navigator', and sinks a number of U-boats by redirecting the torpedoes. After the battle, he swims to Coney Island to say goodbye to Bessie (who has now fallen in love with George) and gets a replacement set of glasses. He then swims off with Ladyfish.

"In the film's coda, set in the modern times of 1964, George (now a high ranking naval officer) and the Admiral are presented with a report that Mr. Limpet is still alive and working with porpoises. The two men travel out to sea to contact Mr. Limpet and offer him a commission in the United States Navy. It is unknown what became of the conversation, for the movie ends with a question mark."

SPOILER ALERT OVER

Seems like things were set up for a sequel.  How about "Mr. Limpet, Secret Agent" (given one of the crazes at the time)?   The movie was by Warner Bros; could a Mr. Limpet/Aquaman teamup be in our future?

Believe it or not, the blob attacking Green Arrow is really...........

Green Lantern's little alien buddy, Itty!!

Dave Palmer said:

The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964)

So Mr. Limpet takes up with another female while still married?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service