Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 23780

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks to me like JIGSAW MAN is a close relative of Elongated/Plastic Man, Elastic Lad and Reed Richards. Surprised that Harvey weren't taken to court!

Given all the heroes you listed, stretching wasn't an unique power. After all, Plastic Man, Elastic Lad and Elongated Man all came before Mister Fantastic, yet Marvel wasn't sued. And that was always a concern of Marvel's!

Steve W said:

Looks to me like JIGSAW MAN is a close relative of Elongated/Plastic Man, Elastic Lad and Reed Richards. Surprised that Harvey weren't taken to court!

Jungle Twins #1 (1972) and #18 (1982) with Dan Spiegle reinterpreting the original cover.

Any connection to the Tarzan Twins?

Another great Jade cover

Information about Jigsaw can be found here.

Gold Key started Brothers of the Spear and The Jungle Twins to replace its Tarzan and Korak titles when it lost the Burroughs licenses to DC. "Brothers of the Spear" had been the back-up strip in Tarzan's title.

The covers of The Jungle Twins copyright the contents to Western, so the feature wasn't licensed. But the feature's creators may have had the Tarzan Twins in mind.

There was an early Fawcett feature called "Jungle Twins", in Nickel Comics. One of the brothers grew up in civilisation, and the other in the jungle.

Thanks, Luke!

Strange the ERB, Inc. allowed a non-Burroughs back-up in Tarzan. You would think that they would insist on another ERB property.

Jerry Lewis meets the Joker! Also Batman & Robin! From The Adventures of Jerry Lewis #97 (D'66).

Really DC needs to collect the "Jerry/Super-Heroes" crossover stories!

I think Western must have run supporting strips for mailing permit reasons, so they were only short, often four pages, and may have been seen as short filler items.

Western apparently did have the license for John Carter as Dell published some John Carter issues in the 1950s and Western reprinted them in the 1960s. Unfortunately, they were drawn by Jesse Marsh.

"Brothers of the Spear" started while Tarzan was at Dell. Korak, Son of Tarzan only started in 1964, after the two companies had gone their separate ways. Its supporting feature was initially "Jon of the Kalahari", and later "Mabu, Jungle Boy".

It's my theory DC published Bomba the Jungle Boy in imitation of Korak. Bomba was a Stratemeyer Syndicate hero who had been featured in a movie series that was repackaged in the 1960s as a TV series. When DC got the Burroughs licenses it did continue Korak, but it later dropped it for a year, briefly restarted it, and then replaced it with The Tarzan Family.

I don't know why Marvel and DC didn't run back-up strips in all their titles. They did in some. Marvel's Westerns often carried a short story not starring the star.

Here is my favorite Jack Kirby Jimmy Olsen cover. Don't ask! Just buy it!

Hoy

My first Jimmy Olsen comic.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service