Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 18745

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Three stories were done, but only two appeared. "Trapped on Wax" is the other one. The complete story finally appeared a few years ago in The Simon and Kirby Library - Superheroes,(1) along with the others. The stories were at least partly pencilled by Simon.

The hero's code-name derives from the title of the operetta The Vagabond King, so his costume was supposed to suggest an operetta hero.(2) In his other identity he made his living composing rhymes for greeting cards. He's like a version of the Sandman who's a nut.

The Simon and Kirby Blog has a post here which notes an action sequence from "The Madness of Dr. Altu" drawn by Simon as the model for a sequence from Captain America #213 drawn by Kirby.

(1) The Simon and Kirby Blog says when the story was first collected in the 1980s a page was missing and Simon and Kirby did a replacement.

(2) A film version of The Vagabond King appeared in 1930, and another in 1956. The story is a fantasia set in late medieval France in which François Villon becomes king for a day. The S&K heroes' costumes look like 19th century dress uniforms, but there must have been any number of operettas with characters who dress like that.

It's often difficult for me to get back into the swing of things after a week or so off the board. This is an easy thread to catch up on, though. Someone else has already posted Namor's nemesis Warlord Krang, but here's a different Krang, original and reprint.

Jeff, we must have established a psychic connection because I was already planning on posting these two K monster covers, both from Kirby.

Did Anthro  or Tor know this guy?

Anthro didn't know there were still dinosaurs in his time.

“Jeff, we must have established a psychic connection because I was already planning on posting these two K monster covers, both from Kirby.”

We must have, because I had those two waiting on deck as well. Here’s two more.

Kid Eternity with his guide, Mister Keeper was one of Quality Comics' biggest stars and was heavily reprinted by DC during the 70s. I enjoyed each and every one!

He should have an educational show on PBS!

How did Gold Key differentiate Tarzan from Korak?

Dave Palmer said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service