Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 82951

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, this thread is one year old this weekend - with 200 pages filled and 2400 posts made.  Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped get this thread through one year -  thanks to one and all! When I started this thread last year I wasn't sure whether you guys would take to the idea or not - I’m so pleased that you all did!   This thread is very cathartic for me and I so enjoy logging on to see what covers others have posted.

Now for some stats - I’m nothing if not OCD about “A Cover a Day”.   2400 posts - of which, I guess 2200 are pictures of covers. We’re up to letter “L”, the 12th letter of the alphabet. That means we’ve posted roughly 183 covers per letter, and approximately 6 covers per day. That’s pretty damned impressive!  Once again, thanks to all. By December next year, we’ll be on the letter “Z” and we’ll have to decide how we plan to proceed after completing the alphabet. But that’s for another day -  right now - just keep on posting!

What do we do for letters like Z? Not enough Zzzax covers to go around.

Lex Luthor laughs as Lois Lane and Lana Lang lie languished as their love loathes to let them lose their lives!

October's almost over and I still have Abraham Lincoln covers in my files.  Here are three Mount Rushmore covers, including one of Lincoln battling Hitler (only in comic books).

Here's Luftwaffe 1946 Vol 1 #2.

And from slightly earlier, here's Lovelorn #50 from June 1954. Publisher ACG. Sadly I cannot find the name of the cover artist - even GCD has a series of question marks when it comes to the credits. A lovely drawn cover - I especially like the expression on the face of the onlooker playing the concertina.

From Lovelorn to Lovers Lane.  Here's #40 from 1954. Publisher is Lev Gleason and the cover art is by the late, great Fred Kida. Kida, as you probably know was the first to draw Airboy, and in his later years drew the Amazing Spider Man comic strip in the early to mid 80s.

Three Legion of Super-Heroes #1s!

The first (F'73) was a four-issue reprint book.

The second (Ja'80) was when the Legion finally took over Superboy's numbering, sending the Boy of Steel into The New Adventures of Superboy!

The third (Au'84) was the start of the Baxter series!

The all new FOR LOVERS ONLY,#68, December 1972. Cover art by the delightful Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, who went on to draw Superman and Wonder Woman in the 80's.

Did I miss the Lady Liberators from Avengers #83?

Last day of the month.  For me, having a theme for the "L"s turned out to be challenging -- Mount Rushmore helped a lot; who knew there were so many Mount Rushmore covers (kind of weird in retrospect since I moved to South Dakota over the summer).  I think (including today) I posted 23 Abraham Lincoln covers and you guys added another three (there are a few more but tomorrow we're on to the "M"s).  Here are my last three (with a bonus), which all have to do with the Gettysburg Address.

And as a bonus here is a panel (not a cover) I came across in my searches.  It is by Jack Kirby from Forever People #7.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service