Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 27710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Munsters cover, showing the whole cast

the Sandman (a.k.a. Morpheus), the Master of Dreams

Mark Merlin was the long-time star of House of Secrets. They added his cat Memacata with whom he could switch minds with but soon after he was completely revamped as Prince Ra-Man, Mind Master!

Quality Comics had begun reprinting Spirit stories in Police Comics which led to a series of covers with him and Plastic Man together. But Quality didn't own the Spirit so they created their own version...Midnight! 

He wasn't a complete clone (except in appearance) as the Daring Double was assisted by an eccentric inventor and a talking monkey!

And there's a preview for next month too!

Here are a couple from House of Mystery. In #162 "The Mummy with Six Heads" one of Robby's identities is Magneto!  #162 "The Monster-Maker of Littleville."

This is a series that completely passed me by. So I was wondering were any of the "Heroes" considered good enough to get an appearance as a stand alone character?

Dave Palmer said:

Here are a couple from House of Mystery. In #162 "The Mummy with Six Heads" one of Robby's identities is Magneto!  #162 "The Monster-Maker of Littleville."

Modeling with Millie and Millie the Model featuring the Beatles Gears.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

MethodEng said:

This is a series that completely passed me by. So I was wondering were any of the "Heroes" considered good enough to get an appearance as a stand alone character?

Robby turned into Plastic Man in House of Mystery #160. M.F. Enterprises had just used the name for a villain with stretching powers in the first issue of its Captain Marvel. (He was called Elasticman from the second.) So that transformation may have been done to defend the trademark and/or as advertising for DC's Plastic Man series, which started shortly after.

The Golden Glider's use of gem weapons from The Flash #257 on may have been recycled from Gem Girl from House of Mystery #169. Likewise, the Rainbow Raider may have been partly(1) based on the villain of the same name from House of Mystery #167. But there was an even earlier villain of the name in Superboy #84. (I owe this point to Hoy.)

(1) Perhaps in combination with aspects of Crazy-Quilt.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service