Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 25025

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a 1970 comic, it's old enough. It makes me think of the cantina scene, too.

JD DeLuzio said:

We know George Lucas was reading some Fourth World. Did he also recall this issue when he made the Mos Eisley cantina?

Richard Willis said:

Couldn't let the month end without this guy: the Monarch of Menace from Detective Comics #350 (Ap'66), an anniversary issue no less, the only criminal Batman feared! 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Corny crook, bad planner and worse father, the Royal Rogue actually reappeared in the Bronze Age in Batman #336 (Ju'81) where he convinced three-string baddies the Bouncer, Cluemaster and Spellbinder that he was keeping the Dark Knight locked up and would release him unless they work for him! 

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

The interiors were black & white reprints of a dozen of the Mr. & Mrs. Superman 7/8 page stories that used to appear in Superman Family. (Yes, it's nearly 100 pages) Pencil art on all but one is by Kurt Schaffenberger (with George Tuska filling in the gap). Most were written by E. Nelson Bridwell, with Cary Bates stepping up a couple of times. The inkers varied.

Richard Willis said:

The cover is apparently drawn for this issue. Were the contents reprints from his U.S. comics?

3 said:

From Murray publishing in Melbourne, Australia, we've got Mr & Mrs Superman-

I remember enjoying this series when it first came out.  It ended on a cliffhanger if I remember correctly.  It gave me a new found appreciation for Mike Sekowsky's work.

Richard Willis said:

As a 1970 comic, it's old enough. It makes me think of the cantina scene, too.

JD DeLuzio said:

We know George Lucas was reading some Fourth World. Did he also recall this issue when he made the Mos Eisley cantina?

Richard Willis said:

The Matter Master: goofy looking but dangerous!

I'm going to end the Ms with Mystery in Space.  I've chosen the first cover appearance of all the series that appeared in MIS:  Knights of the Galaxy, Adam Strange, Hawkman, Space Ranger, Jan Vern, and Ultra, the Multi-Alien.  Did I miss any?

My last is Man O'Metal who is part of my WWII thread's epic battle if I ever get to it!

He is also Wonder Woman's "half-brother" as he was also co-created by Harry G. Peter. 

We're running out of M and i was trying to decide - More Moore, or More Monkees? But the Monkees covers are all photo covers, giving the clear edge to an Alan Moore tribute cover on a collection of Moore tales:

And since we're at the end of M, here's the back cover farewell from the Monkees in their British book from the Daily Mirror in '67 - Meet The Monkees:

They really need some comic art covers.

Agh! I've still got a ton more M's! Here's Mammoth:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service