Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 25025

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"To Save Mankind, they became the - NIGHT FORCE!" Issue 1, Aug 1982, Artists – Gene Colan/Bob Smith.

Nature Boy #3, Charlton, March 1956, cover - pencils and inks by John Buscema.

Well, there's the obvious:

Also: is that Namora crossing over with the old Moby Dick cartoon, where she meets the adult versions of Tom and Tubb?

Steve W said:

Namora #2 (1948). Cover art: Ken Bald, Timely Comics.  A relative of the Prince perhaps?

Another fabulous Ross Andru cover. This is Never Again #1, published by Charlton, Aug 1955.

Cool choice on Night Force, Steve. I skipped one of my first selections in case you were going there next.

December is here, and the holidays are nigh upon us. Yep, it's time for the Nightmare of St. Nick (by Segrelles)

cover by Cintron & Segrelles for Nightmare 23 from Skywald (1975)

From Astro City # 1/2, the favorite Astro City story of Dave Gibbons and myself, The Nearness of You.

In Italy, Superman is known as "Nembo Kid" which seems a strange translation for a full grown man.  After exhaustive searching through the interweb I came across this interesting explanation.

"In postwar Italy, anything that smacked of fascism was right out. Superboy was actually published in Italy first (before Superman) but, again, somebody somewhere decided that any name that included Super-, with all its Nietzschean ubertones, was not going to do.

So the youngster from Smallville was rechristened Nembo Kid — meaning Cloud Kid, because he flew — and his was removed from the art, leaving an empty crest.

When Superman himself made his appearance, the name stayed."

More Nembo Kid

Incidentally, the Italian publishers eventually decided to drop the "Nembo Kid" moniker, and over a period of a year (between 1966 and 67) they gradually dropped the Nembo and switched to "Superman".

Still on the subject of Italy, Mister No was published there for over 30 years by Sergio Bonelli Editore.

The Man Called Nova (British edition)

When Wonder Woman regained her powers in 1973. her origin was retold with the stunning addition that Queen Hippolyta sculpted TWO babies, one out of light clay, the other dark and both were brought to life but that Diana's sister was abducted by Mars and raised as his servant Nubia until she rebelled with the Amazon Princess' help and was brought back to Paradise Island as seen in WW #204-206 (F-Jl'73).

Sadly she was never seen in Wonder Woman again, making a brief appearance in Supergirl #9 (Ja'74) but made a surprise return in Super Friends #25 (O'79) as the Wonder Woman of Africa! She was never mentioned in all following WW origin stories though other versions of the character have shown up in the 2000s.

Nubia was a product of the times but was also ahead of the times!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service