Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 36266

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I loved that Silver Surfer origin story. I remember buying that comic, back in '69.  Here in England it was 2 shillings and 6 pence, instead of 1 shilling, which ordinary 12 cent comics were. However, it was well worth the extra one and six! 

Here's another Origin cover. Batman's origin finally appeared in 1948, 9 years after his first appearance.

The origins of each of the X-Men began with #38. Again, I devoured these origin stories when they first came out.

Wonder Woman, bless her, had a Secret Origin!

Batman's origin was first revealed in Detective Comics #33 (N'39) in a two page story. This expands on it. Similarly in 1948, Superman's origin was retold in greater detail. It was probably due to a new wave of readers.

Steve W said:

I loved that Silver Surfer origin story. I remember buying that comic, back in '69.  Here in England it was 2 shillings and 6 pence, instead of 1 shilling, which ordinary 12 cent comics were. However, it was well worth the extra one and six! 

Here's another Origin cover. Batman's origin finally appeared in 1948, 9 years after his first appearance.

I LOVE the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe in all its forms, even the binder version when it was almost generic.

This is the first series issue with the "O"s in it. Only "O" up front is Our Boy Orka!!

Philip Portelli said:

Batman's origin was first revealed in Detective Comics #33 (N'39) in a two page story. This expands on it. Similarly in 1948, Superman's origin was retold in greater detail. It was probably due to a new wave of readers.

I figure many Golden Age readers probably never knew it, but it was important to the feature anyway, because it helped shape his characterisation. Batman had more drive than most Golden Age heroes. He was a full-time, professional crimefighter, and whereas his origin was rarely referred to, he was shown improving his techniques and training with Robin all the time.

Superman's origin, in contrast, was alluded to in the opening of the cartoons and radio show, and retold a bit more often, albeit not ubiquitously.

Some issues of Blackhawk recounted the Blackhawks' origin on a text page.

In 1949, the last solo story of the Flash (Flash Comics #104) retold his origin as he battled the Rival.

Also in 1949, the last issue of Marvel Mystery Comics (#92) retold the origin of the original Human Torch. Apparently many readers, including a young Roy Thomas, had no idea that the Man of Fire was an android!

In some of the very few stories I've read featuring the Jim Hammond Human Torch it seemed that whoever was writing them entirely forgot that H.T. was supposed to be an android! 

Also in 1968, Captain America, Dr. Strange, Hulk, Iron Man and Sub-Mariner all had their origin stories re-told with the first issue of their new solo titles (with Dr. Strange, Cap & Hulk continuing from the numbering of the last issues of Strange Tales, Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish, respectively).  No new origin story for Nick Fury in his new title, nor for Captain Marvel whose 1st issue was only his 3rd appearance.

Daredevil #116 (D'74) was my first DD issue where the Owl returns!

Of course, if the Gruesome Glider is your "greatest, grimmest foe", the bar's not set up that high!

The Death Stalker, introduced a few issues earlier, better fit the bill in this era of DD, still a few years before the Kingpin would switch over from Amazing Spider-Man to become DD's top foe and even a bit before Bullseye was introduced. I started collecting DD regularly in 1973 and generally enjoyed it even before Miller came aboard, but of course he took the series to a level of popularity it had never had before.

The Owl wasn't even a major baddie in Daredevil then! After #116-117, he didn't reappear until #145 (My'77). Frank Miller had no use for him. At all. In fact, he made two issues of Marvel Team-Up with #73 (S'78) where he got hurt bad and #98 (O'80) where he fought Spidey and the Black Widow! He then was "reassigned" to Spectacular Spider-Man with #75 (F'83) where the Noxious Nocturnal got involved in a massive gang-war which featured Doctor Octopus, the Kingpin and the Black Cat but no Daredevil!

It took TWELVE years for the Owl to show up in Daredevil again with #264 (Ma'89)!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service