Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 39861

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yesterday I completely forgot to post a cover, so I'll do two today.

First appearance of The Rhino.

An interesting Spidey foe, The Rose

Rip Hunter and Queen Cleopatra

Red Ryder omics #18, Mar/Apr 1944, publisher Dell, cover art/inks by Fred Harman.

First drawn by Jerry Robinson in 1940, Robin the Boy Wonder would go on to become one of the most famous sidekicks in comic history. His early appearances doubled the sales of the Batman related comic books.

Flash #139

The first appearance of arguably the Flash’s greatest adversary, Eobard Thawne, aka Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash. Thawne arrives in Central City to torment Barry from the 25th century. Per the comic’s story, he finds a capsule containing Allen’s Flash costume and then uses a machine to gain Allen’s speed energy powers.

Red Raven Comics #1 was a Timely anomaly as it was the only issue and only appearance of their Winged Wonder as it became Human Torch with #2. But that is one unattractive cover! But the other features (Human Top, Eternal Brain and Mercury) would all reappear in form or another!

Roy Thomas would have him redesigned for the Silver Age where he first fought the Angel appropriately then his fellow Golden Ager, the Sub-Mariner! He also lost his mind!

In the 70s, he would reappear as part of the Liberty Legion which makes sense if you remember that Roy's favorite JSAer was Hawkman!

"Richie $ Rich" was a fictional character in the Harvey Comics universe. He debuted in Little Dot #1, cover-dated September 1953, and was created by Alfred Harvey and Warren Kremer. Dubbed "the poor little rich boy," Richie is the only child of fantastically wealthy parents and is the world's richest kid. He is so rich, his middle name is a dollar sign. During Harvey Comics' heyday (1950–1982), Richie was the publisher's most popular character, eventually starring in over fifty separate titles, including such long-running comics as Richie Rich, Richie Rich Millions, Richie Rich Dollars and Cents, and Richie Rich Success Stories.

Richard Willis said:

An interesting Spidey foe, The Rose

Tom DeFalco has said he conceived him as a middle-management crime guy. Wikipedia quotes him on his creation here.

The first Red Tornado was Ma Hunkel, dressed in a makeshift costume in a humor comic, but soon crossing over into the JSA. The android came along in '68. The Vision/Red Tornado controversy gets addressed here, though I can't help think these comic cosmic coincidences involved prior knowledge on the part of one publisher or the other.

Red Raven really rocks,but Canada's Penguin, after the war ended, dodged confusion with the DC villain by changing his name to Blue Raven. The character is now almost entirely forgotten:

And DC has has a regular Raven:

The name clearly has comic-book Poe-tential.

Philip Portelli said:

Red Raven Comics #1 was a Timely anomaly as it was the only issue and only appearance of their Winged Wonder as it became Human Torch with #2. But that is one unattractive cover! But the other features (Human Top, Eternal Brain and Mercury) would all reappear in form or another!

Roy Thomas would have him redesigned for the Silver Age where he first fought the Angel appropriately then his fellow Golden Ager, the Sub-Mariner! He also lost his mind!

In the 70s, he would reappear as part of the Liberty Legion which makes sense if you remember that Roy's favorite JSAer was Hawkman!

The queen in question is Queen Latora. I've still got a few Q covers yet to post. Since everyone else has aparently moved on to R, I'll start posting multiples.

JD DeLuzio said:

The android came along in '68. The Vision/Red Tornado controversy gets addressed here, though I can't help think these comic cosmic coincidences involved prior knowledge on the part of one publisher or the other.

I don't like coincidence explanations either. According to Roy Thomas he wanted to revive the Vision and Lee wanted an android character, so he combined them. Therefore, the character was discussed at Marvel before the story was done. Perhaps gossip about him reached DC. ("Did you hear what Marvel is planning?") Schwartz and Fox had interacted with Thomas and one or the other could have decided to do a similar character as a joke.

What's hard to account for is how visually similar the characters are. Both were preceded by the M.F. Enterprises Captain Marvel, but they resemble each other more than him. Maybe John Buscema did a character sheet and DC got hold of it. Marvel had filched the look of the original Red Tornado the previous year for Forbush Man.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service