Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 32146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rip Hunter and another queen (Elizabeth I)

Here's one I read just this weekend.

The main difference was that the Vision was created to join the Avengers while Red Tornado was created to join the Justice Society, not the Justice League. That was because readers kept bringing up the original RT but there was no way she was going to be revived. The Whirling Wonder was a focal point in Denny O'Neil's two JLA/JSA team-ups which grafted him with a whiny personality. But it was Len Wein with little build up that put him into the Justice League which emphasized his similarity to the Vision. 

Good thing he never hooked up with Zatanna!

Rocket Raccoon first appeared in Incredible Hulk #271 (My'82) and was named after the Beatles song "The Ballad of Rocky Raccoon" from the White Album aka The Beatles. (And no, I didn't need Google or Wikipedia for that!)

Luckily Rocket was reimagined for his under-rated mini-series.

After that, it was obscurity for the Cosmic Critter!

I was a big fan of Jon Sable - Freelance in the 1980s. First Comics continued to publish it after Mike Grell began doing this series (featuring Oliver Queen) for DC. I was so disgusted that he wasn't doing Sable, I didn't buy Green Arrow in protest. that was a bad decision, but it worked out in the end. I later purchased the entire series up t that point at a quarter sale.

The general look of the Silver Age Vision looks a lot like the Golden Age Vision, aside from the latter appearing very pale in contrast to the new Vision's red synthetic skin, which is the prime physical resemblance between the Vision and the new Red Tornado, and given that the Red Raven, in either era, did not have red skin, it wasn't really a given that the new Red Tornado would have red skin.  Might have been more unique and fun if the Denny had let R.T. remain a female ... aside from Tina of the Metal Men and Jocasta from Shooter-era Avengers, there weren't too many prominent female androids in comics.

Luke Blanchard said:

JD DeLuzio said:

The android came along in '68. The Vision/Red Tornado controversy gets addressed here, though I can't help think these comic cosmic coincidences involved prior knowledge on the part of one publisher or the other.

I don't like coincidence explanations either. According to Roy Thomas he wanted to revive the Vision and Lee wanted an android character, so he combined them. Therefore, the character was discussed at Marvel before the story was done. Perhaps gossip about him reached DC. ("Did you hear what Marvel is planning?") Schwartz and Fox had interacted with Thomas and one or the other could have decided to do a similar character as a joke.

What's hard to account for is how visually similar the characters are. Both were preceded by the M.F. Enterprises Captain Marvel, but they resemble each other more than him. Maybe John Buscema did a character sheet and DC got hold of it. Marvel had filched the look of the original Red Tornado the previous year for Forbush Man.

The other two cases of amazing coincidence that are often cited are Man-Thing and Swamp Thing and the Doom Patrol and the X-Men.

Skywald's Heap appeared just before Marvel's Man-Thing. There's no coincidence there; Roy Thomas plotted the first Man-Thing story (from Stan Lee's idea) and suggested reviving the Heap to Sol Brodsky. The ur-Swamp Thing story appeared a couple of months later, but swamp monsters were an established type of character, and the story wasn't intended as the start of a series. It was like doing a vampire story.

In the case of the Doom Patrol and the X-Men there must have been some idea-filching going on. Leaving aside the similarities of the premises, the Brotherhood of Evil and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants debuted the same month! I have a theory the Chief was based on James Robertson Justice,(1) and the first issue of X-Men was drawn by Jack Kirby who could draw an issue fast, so I'm inclined to think the copying in that case was Marvel's. (DC for its part was copying Fantastic Four.)

To be fair, I think Thomas has written somewhere that Lee didn't pay much attention to what DC was doing. But I imagine each company worried about the other beating it to the Next Big Thing. It could be Lee wanted to do an android character because he had heard DC was going to do one. Or even that Thomas suggested the Red Tornado to his DC friends.

(1) He played bullying, self-assured men. His character in Murder, She Said (1961) was wheelchair-bound.

My two favorite Red Ghost covers

(He's not an R, but this was also the debut of The Watcher)

A few more covers featuring Quentin Collins.

Rip Hunter and Queen Cleopatra again.

Julia upgraded her lab from the Frankenstein family's fire sale?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

A few more covers featuring Quentin Collins.

Reply to Discussion

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service