Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 36466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This entire series was recently released in hardcover, believe it or not (as part of Marvel Masterworks Kazar Vol. 2). The conclusion to the Mandrill story can be found in Marvel Masterworks Daredevil Vol. 11 (issues #108-112).

Continuing with the Great Detective: "Sherlock Stalks the Joker!"

World's Finest Comics #103 (Au'59) featured "The Secrets of the Sorcerer's Treasure!" where Superman, Batman and Robin must stop two speculators from using the four ancient objects of power: a box that controls a green dragon, a magic prism that deflects energy, the sorcerer's glove that dissolves inert matter and the mantle of invisibility (decades before Harry Potter!)

The strange thing was that the Sorcerer's Treasures were brought back in a 1977 story arc in Secret Society of Super-Villains, despite WFC #103 never being reprinted (until 2005) in order to reenergize the Wizard though not the dragon box! Sorry, Dragon! He never used them as they were originally shown but he sure buffed up!

Two covers from Star-Studded Comics from 1964 and 1966. Both covers are by Jake 'Buddy' Sauders, who today runs the online Lone Star Comics (www.mycomicshop.com). It was a fan-produced comic from The Texas Trio (Larry Herndon, Howard Keltner and Saunders). Here is an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry for Star Studded Comics:

"..... it featured early amateur superhero comics drawn or written by George R. R. Martin, Grass Green, Jim Starlin, Roy Thomas, Sam Grainger, Alan Weiss, Dave Cockrum, Mike Vosburg, Biljo White, and Howard Keltner, among others, and featured the early appearances of Dr. Weird, Xal-Kor (the Human Cat), Wildman, and The Eye. George R. R. Martin's prose story, "Powerman vs, the Blue Barrier" won comic fandom's Alley Award in the amateur category. Earlier in 1963, Buddy Saunders' cover artwork for the second issue, also won an Alley Award in the amateur category."

Philip Portelli said:

World's Finest Comics #103 (Au'59) featured "The Secrets of the Sorcerer's Treasure!" where Superman, Batman and Robin must stop two speculators from using the four ancient objects of power

I read Secret of Society of Super-Villains #8 as a kid, and vividly remember the part where Kid Flash KOs himself. I never knew the artefacts were drawn from an earlier story.

The plot of the original story reminds me of a couple of early Challengers tales (Showcase #6, #12).

There is a brief flashback of WFC #103 in SSSV #8.

The Wizard kept the Sorcerer's Treasures from SSSV #11-15 then JLA #166-168. When he reappeared in JLA #219-220, he went back to his original outfit and the treasures were never seen again!

Luke Blanchard said:

Philip Portelli said:

World's Finest Comics #103 (Au'59) featured "The Secrets of the Sorcerer's Treasure!" where Superman, Batman and Robin must stop two speculators from using the four ancient objects of power

I read Secret of Society of Super-Villains #8 as a kid, and vividly remember the part where Kid Flash KOs himself. I never knew the artefacts were drawn from an earlier story.

The plot of the original story reminds me of a couple of early Challengers tales (Showcase #6, #12).

Apropos the new Lost in Space show on Netflix, Space Family Robinson.

An early "graphic novel" (1968) by Gil Kane (with Archie Goodwin and Frank Giacoia).

Lee Marvin sued over the unauthorized use of his likeness.

Sarge Steel.

I would buy a Solomon Grundy collection in a heartbeat! It would probably take three or four volumes!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service